Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

RAF Muster Rolls

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 5 Aug 2015 18:06

I have just found my Gt Uncles WW1 medal. Printed round the rim is :-F.25459 E.J.Ferguson. ACT.A.M.1.R.N.A.S. However, there is a discrepancy in the spelling of his name, as it is correctly spelled Fergusson. The RAF Muster Roll has the entry thus:- 225459 Fergusson E.J. RNAS or RFC Trade Classification, Rigger(Aero). Remustered to Air Force Trade Classification, Rigger (Aero). RNAS Rating or RFC Rank or Appointment, Ac.A.Mech.1. New Rank in Air Force, A.Mech.2. Date of Joining or last Promotion, 31/1/17. Does anyone have any observations? Apart from the number, and mis-spelling, everything else is OK, and I can't believe it is the wrong person. Bob

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 5 Aug 2015 20:41

Bob - what are your great uncles forenames? (might help with identifying any possible coincidences with similar names).

For example (from FindMyPast)

British Royal Air Force, Airmen's service records 1912-1939
First name(s) Edward James
Last name Ferguson
Birth year 1883
Birth parish Camberwell
Birth county Surrey
Occupation Carpenter
Attestation date 28 May 1916
Attestation age 33
Service number 29482
Marriage year 1903
Marriage date 13 Apr 1903
Spouse's first name(s) Georgena Emma
Child's first name(s) Violet
Child's birth date 12 Aug 1904
Child 2 first name(s) Gladys
Child 2 birth date 25 Oct 1909
Archive reference AIR 79/295

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 5 Aug 2015 20:49

The muster roll you found is definitely your great uncle - here's the corresponding service record:

First name(s) Edwin James
Last name Ferguson
Birth date 12 Mar 1879
Birth parish Old Ford
Birth county Middlesex
Occupation Chair Maker
Attestation date 31 Jan 1917
Service number 225459
Archive reference AIR 79/2031

On the image of the record the name is written as FERGUSSON.

Next of kin was his mother Elizabeth. He had a hammer toe on his left foot.

He was discharged to Chatham Barracks 01/08/1918. He'd previously been in the Navy.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 5 Aug 2015 22:49

There's also this record for RNAS which you can download from the National Archives website for £3.30

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6825438

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 6 Aug 2015 13:50

Thanks very much for your input. I am now off to France for a week or so, and will follow it up when I get back.