Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

sherwood Foresters/ George William Norman

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Jun 2015 09:42

My father enlisted in 1914 but I cannot trace his army records and must assume that they were destroyed by bombing when moved to London. Does anyone have any knowledge of his service please
Allan

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 11 Jun 2015 10:16

Hello Allan, where/when was your father born?

It depends what you're hoping to find out. Although so many service records were destroyed there could be a pension record. You could try here:

http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/

They will undertake a look up for £25 (partially refundable if no result).

I'm not seeing an exact match for his full name in the medal index cards. There are these possibles:

Name: George Norman
Regiment or Corps: Notts and Derby (Sherwood Foresters) Regiment
Regimental Number: 70503
Victory & British War medals

Name: George E Norman
Regiment or Corps: Notts and Derby (Sherwood Foresters) Regiment, York and Lancaster Regiment
Regimental Number: 19072, 55906
1915 Star, Victory & British War medals

Name: William Norman
Regiment or Corps: Notts and Derby (Sherwood Foresters) Regiment, Duke of Edinburgh's (Wilthsire) Regiment
Regimental Number: 20184, 0236
1915 Star, Victory & British War medals

Name: William Norman
Regiment or Corps: Notts and Derby (Sherwood Foresters) Regiment
Regimental Number: 99
Victory & British War medals. Silver War Badge

Do you have any clues as to what his service number might have been?

ADDED: There are numerous George W Normans in other regiments.

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Jun 2015 10:58

Hi,
Many thanks for your reply. My father was born in 1893 at Mexborough in Yorkshire. I have no idea of his reg number as I have been unable trace his record. The same applies to three of my uncles on my mothersside. I was able to trace the 4th one as he transferred from the RFC to the RAF in 1918.
Regards
Allan

Jean

Jean Report 18 Nov 2015 21:38

only just reading about army records, etc. Have you tried the Sherwood Forresters Regimental museum which is situated in Nottingham Castle? They were very helpful when I contacted them. regarding my uncle, Harry Eyre who died Sept 1918 in WW1, Jean .

Ron2

Ron2 Report 20 Nov 2015 19:31

Might be worth contacting the Foresters museum in Nottingham. Try "goggling" for the website address