Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

finding the owner of a medal

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nellie123

Nellie123 Report 8 Jun 2015 06:59

Hi a long time ago i bought a box of buttons form a charity shop and found a medal inside witch i still have and if it is at all possible it would be nice to see if they had any family for it to be returned to them on the back of the medal it say,s the great war of civilisation 1914-1919 around the band has 45346 pteJ H King R A M C thank-you in advance Helen

Maddie

Maddie Report 8 Jun 2015 10:56

Name: J H King
Military Year: 1914-1915
Medal Awarded: 1914-15 Star
Regiment or Corps: Royal Army Medical Corps
Regimental Number: 45346
Other Records: Search for 'J H King' in other WWI collections
War Diaries (France, Belgium, Germany): Search for 'Royal Army Medical Corps' in the WWI War Diaries (France, Belgium, Germany) collection
War Diaries (Gallipoli): Search for 'Royal Army Medical Corps' in the WWI War Diaries (Gallipoli) collection

discharged 21/2/1919

John H
Last name King
Service number 45346
Rank Private
Corps Royal Army Medical Corps
Service record Soldier Number: 45346, Rank: Private, Corps: Royal Army Medical Corps
Archive reference WO372/11
Archive reference description Campaign Medal Index Cards and Silver War Badge Cards
Country Great Britain
Image link http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D3242074
Record set World War One British Army medal index cards
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory First World War
Collections from Great Britain
The National Archives

Maddie

Maddie Report 8 Jun 2015 11:04

Name: John Henry King
Discharge Unit: Royal Army Medical Corps.
Regiment: Royal Army Medical Corps
Regimental Number: 45346
Badge Number: B8336
Piece: 3232
List Number: RAMC 0501-0750
Record Group: WO
Record Class: 329
Other Records: Search for 'John Henry King' in other WWI collections

Potty

Potty Report 8 Jun 2015 11:51

He was also awarded the Silver War Badge and that record gives a bit more detail:

Enlisted: 3/11/1914
Transferred to Class "P" Army Reserve, due to sickness: 15/06/1918
There is also an age given but no indication of when that age refers to but I would guess it is the age at transfer, 30 yrs and 2 months, so that would give a DOB of April 1888.

Nellie123

Nellie123 Report 8 Jun 2015 19:26

Hi all thank-you for your help it has helped a lot , if it is not a problem could anyone tell me how it would be best to try and find out wither he was English .Scottish .or Welsh . or maybe where i could take the medal to see if someone with more knowledge in history as i have,nt a clue thank-you again for your help kind regards Helen

Potty

Potty Report 9 Jun 2015 13:16

Do you have access to Ancestry or FMP to view his medla card? He received the 3 usual medals (British, Victory & 15 Star) as well as the Silver War Badge. The card gives details of the divisions of the RAMC he served in. For the British and Victory it was RAMC/101 B11 and for the 15 Star RAMC/5B.

If you Google WW1 medals you should find pictures that will help you identify which of the 3 medals you have.

There were 4 other John H Kings in the RAMC who were awarded medals.

Freebmd has several births 1887-1889, all in England; there are no births showing on scotlands people for the same period.

mgnv

mgnv Report 12 Jun 2015 00:10

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/medals-decorations/campaign-stars-medals-1866-1918/vm18