Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

looking for help with black watch please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 8 Jun 2015 05:33

looking for help but I don't have much
grandfather james Campbell born about 1890 -1898 Dundee I think was in the black watch as a drum major and he was very proud man as I have been told from my aunt but she has not heard or seen him since 30's and her mum remarried any help in pointing me I the right direction as I live in Australia

dave

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 8 Jun 2015 13:25

Hello Dave, there were numerous men called James Campbell serving in the Black Watch.

You'll have a better chance of tracing him if you can be more specific about his age. Did he marry in Scotland? Who did he marry? When his wife remarried was she a widow or divorced?

I'd suggest you have a look on Scotland's People for some records to get more detailed information about him http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/. You'll need to buy credits but they're reasonably priced.

greyghost

greyghost Report 13 Jun 2015 16:18

There are 3 James Campbell's (b1896 +/- 5 years) on the 1901 census in Dundee (if that is where the family stayed after his birth. All are recorded a being born 1893.

Does your aunt remember her grandparent Campbell's first names or the names of any of her aunts/uncles?

David

David Report 14 Jun 2015 01:32

Sorry she doesn't remember much I can't find him marrying or dieing but the 4 children all given the surname of campbell all born between 1924/1936 then my nan marries and on the marriage certificate she puts spinster .what she has always stood by is my nan could never go back to ireland or have any contact with her family because of james so you see I am stuck and my other aunt who is alive will not talk a campbell and has moved out of GB and no one nows were she moved to families a
Thanks for your help I think I'll have to call it a day on that branch unless I find something to help once again I would love to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart with the help <3 <3