Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WWI Medals

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kenneth

Kenneth Report 26 Apr 2015 03:27

Has any one out there in possession of Goerge Albert Garforth 's medals ? if so can you contact Ken Garforth

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 26 Apr 2015 08:09

The chance of a member having the medal I would think be slim.

You will have a lot of work to do if you want to find them - medal collectors and possibly auction house and antique fairs etc.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Apr 2015 11:38

Have you checked with everyone in the family - cousins, distant cousins etc. Most medals DO stay within the family. My grandfather's medals were passed down to his youngest son (not the eldest) and then to his grandson who was given his name.

Kath. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Apr 2015 22:30

Was this post one you made? No date showing

http://themanchesters.org/forum/index.php?topic=941.0;wap2

Can somebody please help me, I want to know what happened to George's 1914-1915 star medal.

On his medal card it says the Star is on roll H/1/52 B page 59 and next to that it says retd (1743.K.R.19 12) 8149/adt. I know retd means the medal was returned, I was just wanted to know if he got it back. If it is at all possible can anybody let me know if he got his Victory and British war medals and if so what has happened to them. They are on roll H/1/101 B11 page 2358. If anybody can help me I would really appreciate it.

(Reply)
i did a little search on KR (kings Regulations) 1912
Kings Regulations (1912) para 1743 states:
"Medals which, at the end of 10 years, still remain unclaimed, will be sent to ... the deputy director of ordnance stores, Royal Dockyard (Medal Branch), Woolwich ... to be broken up."

Charmed1234:
Thanks for the information regarding the Kings Regulations, I really apreciated it. Is there any way of finding out about the other medals.

themonsstar:
You would have to go to the NA at Kew or get a researcher to look at the Medal rolls, I have copies of all the Manchester Regt Medal Rolls. But George, was in the Lancashire Fusiliers So I can not help you sorry

Medal cards are on Ancestry, which can be accessed for a small fee from the NA

Name: George A Garforth
Regiment or Corps: York and Lancaster Regiment, Labour Corps, Royal Fusiliers
Regimental Number: 4837, 583108, GS/125416

Nothing to indicate that they were unclaimed

Kenneth

Kenneth Report 27 Apr 2015 09:41

Thanks for all the reply's, i have all the records and replica medals, it would be nice to have the real ones,
ken garforth

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Apr 2015 09:50

As Kath had said, you'd need to check with the descendents of all of his relatives in case they have them. If not with family they could have been sold, donated to a charity or museum or even thrown out.

My father in law remembers playing with his fathers medals, but has no idea what happened to them. Sometime between growing up and his parents dying, they disappeared. As he was an only child, they wouldn't have been inherited by any one else. He rather thinks that the suffering and conditions his father endured meant he wanted to get rid of all reminders.

Denis

Denis Report 27 Apr 2015 10:38

Try here:

http://www.medals-reunited.co.uk/