Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Army paybook - M D U 2

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kath

Kath Report 31 Mar 2015 14:48

I have just found my Dad's army paybook from WWII. It has M D U " written on it, as does his soldiers release book.
What does it mean?
(Please don't let it be anything awful!)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 31 Mar 2015 16:42

From a list of army abbreviations found on Google:-

MDU - 1. mine disposal unit, 2. message decoder unit, 3. [AR 310-50] mobile development units.

If it has the number 2 next to it I would assume he was in a message decoder unit.

Use this link if you need to know what any other abbreviations mean:-

http://fas.org/news/reference/lexicon/acronym.htm

Kath. x

Kath

Kath Report 31 Mar 2015 17:17

Thank-you. I did look on google nut didn't find anything like you did.
Yes, it has the number two written next to it, if I tell you he was in the RASC, does that make any more sense?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 31 Mar 2015 17:35

I really don't know anything about Army units but I would imagine that people from all sorts of regiments and Corps would be seconded to decoder units.

Kath. x

Kath

Kath Report 31 Mar 2015 17:45

Thank-you.