Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 service record look-up please. Many thanks

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sally

Sally Report 19 Mar 2015 19:32

Would anybody please be able to look on FindmyPast to see if a WW1 service record still exists for my grandfather? I have a copy of his medal record card and his details are as follows: William Holland Youd. Born 9 July 1887 Cheshire. Service number 30231 Royal Engineers. Thank you in anticipation. :-)

Gritty

Gritty Report 19 Mar 2015 20:01

First name(s) W H
Last name Youd
Service number 30231
Originating Record WO 363. 22667 Wilfred Foster Jackson, Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own (Yorkshire Regiment)
Series WO 363
Record set British Army Service Records 1914-1920
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory First World War

The only thing on the record that I can see relating to W H Youd is the following:

"MOTOR CYCLISTS' COY SIGNAL DEPOT, DUNSTABLE.
PART 2 ORDERS.
17. Farm Furlough Extension.
30231 Cpl. Youd W. H Farm Furlough extended from 30- 07-17 to 26- 8-17 28 days"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Medal Card:
First name(s) William H
Last name Youd
Service number 30231
Rank Corporal Mechanic, Corporal
Corps Royal Engineers
Service record Soldier Number: 30231, Rank: Corporal Mechanic, Corps: Royal Engineers
Service record 2 Soldier Number: 30231, Rank: Corporal, Corps: Royal Engineers
Archive reference WO372/22
Archive reference description Campaign Medal Index Cards and Silver War Badge Cards
Country Great Britain
Image link http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D6049957
Record set World War One British Army medal index cards
Category Military, armed forces & conflict

Sally

Sally Report 19 Mar 2015 20:09

Thank you very much for that. Would the shortage of info mean that much of his records were lost? I only ask because I thought service records showed eg theatre of war, when they travelled, injuries etc? Also there seem to be two service record cards - does this mean that his second foray into war was put on a different card? (He was injured in France, shipped home to recuperate and then sent out to Mesopotamia). Any help in deciphering would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 19 Mar 2015 22:36

About 70% of WW1 records were lost during WW2

So likely to find any service records