Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

my father ww2

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Mar 2015 06:29

How do I find what ship or what my fathef did in ww2 his name is stanley william edward doel please help as no won else can. We think he was in the navy does any bodys family have a friend or relative know this man

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 11 Mar 2015 07:57

WW2 records are not online. I don't think you'll get people on here knowing your father. You could try Forces Reunited.

Go to this site to find out how to apply for you father's military documents.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

It costs £30 for you to apply for them and a several months wait. If your mother is still alive she can apply for them free.

alviegal

alviegal Report 11 Mar 2015 12:02

This is the only thing I could find online but I believe your father was born in 1925 not 1926? Probably not him then.

S W Doel

in the Web: UK, WWII Medals Issued to Merchant Seamen, 1939-1945

Reference: BT 395/1/25469
Description:
Medal listing of Doel, S W
Discharge number: R277574
Date of Birth: 18 September 1926
Date: [1946-2002]
Held by: The National Archives, Kew
Legal status: Public Record

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D4292506

EDIT No sorry, I've just found records for a Stanley Walter Doel born on that date in 1926 so definately not your man.

EDIT I've just googled his name and found a Tribute to him so my condolences to you all.
It certainly does look as though he was in the Navy from the photo posted. <3 <3

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 12 Mar 2015 17:51

Welcome to the Community boards Jane.

(I'll let Jane know how to find her replies) :-)