Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

31st Gen Hospital, Port Said. Returning wounded.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joseph

Joseph Report 4 Feb 2015 20:16

Hi,
I have telegraph messages from 31st General Hospital in Port Said regarding my uncle Albert Condon, 10559, Royal Irish Fusiliers having a successful operation in November 1917. I can find no other record of him until he was discharged in 1918.
I am hoping there may be hospital records somewhere in England where casualties were received on returning home.
I would much appreciate any help or advice where to look.
Thank you in advance,
Joseph O'Brien.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 4 Feb 2015 20:56

His medal card (you can see it at Ancestry) has a very little information.

He was a private and then a sergeant.

It says he was in France 1914, and says "On S.W.B. List B/013" which is the Silver War Badge list.

http://www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/swbrecords.html

'The badge was awarded to all of those military personnel who had served at home or overseas during the war, and who had been discharged from the army under King’s Regulations. Expiry of a normal term of engagement did not count and the most commonly seen reason for discharge and issue of the badge is KR is 392(xvi), meaning the soldier had been released on account of being permanently physically unfit.'

'The most commonly seen reference to to KR392xvi, for men who were discharged on medical grounds having been wounded or taken seriously ill.'

It says the records can be seen at Ancestry ... I have to reopen my browser before I can look at anything else :-)

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 4 Feb 2015 21:11

these are probably things you already know but if not they may be of interest

Albert Condon in the UK, Silver War Badge Records, 1914-1920
Name: Albert Condon
Discharge Unit: R. Irish Fus.
Regiment: Princess Victoria's (Royal Irish Fusiliers)
Regimental Number: 10559
Badge Number: 445783
Piece: 3013
List Number: B 0901-1200
Record Group: WO
Record Class: 329

The image specifies
date of enlistment 9.12.10
date of discharge 18.7.18
cause of discharge Wounds P392 (XVI)b
age 28
served overseas

if you do not have Ancestry access I could send you copies by private message

Someone else may be able to help with the possibility of hospital records, but I would not be optimistic, unfortunately.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 4 Feb 2015 21:17

Ancestry doesn't have his service record but FindMyPast does ?

First name(s) Albert
Last name Condon
Service number 10559
Regiment Royal Irish Fusiliers
Unit / Battalion 5th Battalion
Originating Record WO 363. D/9555 Thomas Mullins, London Regiment
Series WO 363
Record set British Army Service Records 1914-1920
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Record collection First World War
Collections from Great Britain

ah, the image is just a brief list on a torn page of paper showing

10559 Sjt. Albert Condon 5 R. Irish Fus.

Joseph

Joseph Report 4 Feb 2015 21:39

Thanks JoonieCloonie,
I actually have all that information. What I am interested in is how he got from Port Said back to some receiving hospital in Blighty!
Any ideas?
Joe.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 4 Feb 2015 22:39

with his service record being apparently one of the ones destroyed in WWII, I just doubt there is any record for you to find

but someone with broader WWI knowledge might have some general information that could help

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 5 Feb 2015 07:08

Hospital Ships is your answer. Just Google hospital ships WW1 and there's lots of info.