Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Records of ww2

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian

Gillian Report 30 Jan 2015 23:21

Iam new to all this and would love to find my grand ads military records as he was shot in ww2 but survived to tell the story. And I would love to get his records
Thanks to anyone who could help me

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Jan 2015 23:46

Welcome to the boards.

WW2 records are not online anywhere. You have to apply to the MOD for them. They cost £30 and take several months to arrive. Check here for how to apply for them:-

https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

Kath. x

MissMarpleInTheMaking

MissMarpleInTheMaking Report 3 Feb 2015 07:18

The waiting time is 3/6 months at the minute. I've just received records. They took 3 months :)

Nothing too personal in them. Just dates, places and lots of abbreviations for you to figure out! For me, it was definitely worth getting them though. Interesting and really nice to be able to conserve a little bit of our family history.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 7 Feb 2015 12:06

If you want a more detailed outline of where you ancestor served and whit their regiment was doing during the war, then you needs thecRegimental War Diares.

These are kept in one of the 3 following places

National Archives,

Imperial War Museum

or on some rarer instances

The Regimental Archives, so kept within the regiment..