Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1891 Census & Navy question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

hscott21c

hscott21c Report 26 Jan 2015 11:52

Could someone tell me what :

"B to N Navy" means in the Occupation field on an 1891 census. The male in question is 17 years old.

Thanks in advance.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 26 Jan 2015 13:21

Can you post the 1891 so we can look at it.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Jan 2015 15:10

Is the person concerned Arthur T. Taulbut? If so this is the census:-

1891 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Shoe Shop, Union Street, Fareham, Hampshire, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place

Samuel Taulbut Head Married Male 40 1851 Boot Maker Fareham, Hampshire, England
Elizth M Taulbut Wife Married Female 40 1851 - Shedfield, Hampshire, England
Arthur T Taulbut Son Single Male 17 1874 B To N Navy Fareham, Hampshire, England
Norman T Taulbut Son Single Male 14 1877 Errand Boy Fareham, Hampshire, England
Hilda M Taulbut Daughter Single Female 11 1880 Scholar Fareham, Hampshire, England
James L Taulbut Son Single Male 6 1885 Scholar Fareham, Hampshire, England
Martin H Taulbut Son Single Male 3 1888 Scholar Fareham, Hampshire, England
Alice G Taulbut Daughter Single Female 2 1889 - Fareham, Hampshire, England

Unfortunately I can't find anything on Google to help with your query.

EDIT - Having looked at the image again and bearing in mind the address is a shoe shop could it be B to R Navy (Bootmaker to Royal Navy)? His father is a bootmaker.

Kath. x

hscott21c

hscott21c Report 26 Jan 2015 22:34

Kath & Glitterbaby

Sorry about not posting 1891 entry, but it was late in Oz and I thought that the shorthand entry must have been a regular abbreviation.

Bootmaker to Royal Navy sounds entirely plausible. I believe my gt grandfather used to make the shoes for the students at Prices Grammar School in Fareham. He allegedly died young because of his habit of holding tacks in his mouth while making shoes.

Many thanks