Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 military records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pam

Pam Report 12 Nov 2014 14:38

Can anyone help. My grandfather Percy Redsull was in the trenches somewhere in Northern France/Belgium and according to my father he was gassed. Luckily he made it home but with damaged lungs. He was out there for the whole war serving with the Royal Marines from Deal in Kent. I believe in 1915 he transferred to the Royal Engineers. I have tried to find his war records but all I got was a statement telling more or less what I already knew. I believe some war records were lost, but surely there must be something somewhere. Can anyone advise. Thanks.

Pam Davies (nee Redsull) <3

safc

safc Report 12 Nov 2014 15:13

hi pam
is this percy

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7803321

Pam

Pam Report 12 Nov 2014 16:37

Hi there (no name)

Thank you very much. That certainly looks like him. I will pay the fee and download it later. I will post a message if it gives me more info than the other sites have.

Kind regards
Pam <3

Kay????

Kay???? Report 12 Nov 2014 16:49

Pam,

Looking at Percy J Information,,,,

3 indexes,

Try here,
Royal Naval Air Station
Yeovilton
Somerset,

Tel--023 92819385.

The RNAS took charge of many RM service records,,,,,,they hold -- All Deal RM , short service records,,,,,,good luck,

PS- did you also know a Thomas E Redsull is listed,,,,,RM Deal.

Pam

Pam Report 12 Nov 2014 17:51

Hi Kay,

Thank you very much. I will check this out tomorrow.

Kind regards

Pam <3

Kay????

Kay???? Report 12 Nov 2014 18:14

Thomas Ernest
Last name Redsull
Number Deal/12880/S
Rank Private
Unit or regiment -
Service branch Royal Marine Labour Corps
Medals Victory & British War Medals
How issued Self
ADM171 Ref 170/433
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Record collection First World War
Collections from Great Britain

A relative?

Pam

Pam Report 14 Nov 2014 14:15

Hello Kay

Well I downloaded the records from the National Archives for 3.30 and it was a waste of time. All it was, was one sheet which said the date of his enlistment, hair and eye colour, height etc. Signed by some officer. Very disappointed. So I am going to get in touch with the place at Yeovilton place to see what they have. As for Thomas Ernest, I think he is a branch of the family but not a direct ancestor.

Thanks for your help.

King regards Pam