Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cannot access the medal rolls

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 18 Feb 2014 22:41

It seems that I've wasted my money paying for access to military documents. I have in my possession the Medal rolls for Aneurin Tudor Williams (My grandfather ) Regimental #466435. However he does not appear in searches on this site. I have other family members who served in the Great War that do not show. When I search for a generic common name such as John Williams still no matches !!! Am I being blocked from accessing the medal rolls ? I am beginning to believe that I've been ripped off in this regard . Other aspects of "genes reunited" work fine , I would be more than pleased with some direction on this. Maybe someone else can try with Aneurin. Other genealogy sites pick him up with no problem.

Cheers,
John

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 18 Feb 2014 23:03

Did you not check which medal rolls GR held before you parted with your hard eaned cash?

The list below is what they hold in that catagory

Records in this Collection
Manchester Employers' Roll Of Honour 1914-1916
Peninsular Medal Roll 1793-1814
Royal Artillery Honours & Awards
Royal Artillery Military Medal Awards
Royal Marine Medal Roll 1914-1920
Waterloo Medal Roll 1815

The national arechives, Ancestry, and i believe findmypast hold WW1 medal cards

abt 70% of service records for WW1 were distroyed in WW2 bombings and the surviving records are on Ancestry

If you want info on any of the above then GR members with subs to these other sites will be glad to help

Roy

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 18 Feb 2014 23:12

His medal card from the national archives, You could download it but it costs £3.36 but as i say someone may look it up for you on Ancestry

Reference:
WO 372/21/180738
Description:
Medal card of Williams, Aneurin Tudor
Corps Regiment No Rank
Machine Gun Corps Second Lieutenant
Date: 1914-1920
Held by: The National Archives, Kew

Legal status: Public Record

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/medal-index-cards-ww1.htm

Their are 3 entries on Ancestry service records for a Aneurin Williams 2 of them list birth county as Glamorganshire

Roy

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 18 Feb 2014 23:52

Medal Card is on Ancestry and gives a second service number

Name: Aneurin T Williams
Regiment or Corps: Royal Engineers, Royal Engineers
Regimental Number: 466435, 1906

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 19 Feb 2014 00:07

The medal card i posted above is for an officer, Officers at that time never had a service number,

I assumed that when John posted "Regimental #466435" It was whats called an officer long number

If they are both for the same man it's strange to go from being a Sapper to an officer in the Machine Gun Corps

The same record as GB posted but from TNA

Reference:
WO 372/21/180702
Description:
Medal card of Williams, Aneurin T
Corps Regiment No Rank
Royal Engineers 466435 Sapper
Royal Engineers Transport 1906 Sapper
Date: 1914-1920
Held by: The National Archives, Kew

Roy

John

John Report 19 Feb 2014 01:36

Hi,

Thanks for all your comments and help. AT Williams was indeed the sapper indicated. I guess I jumped into a subscription without paying attention to what documents were available on GeneReunited on the military front. Live and learn !

Thanks again, everybody,
Cheers,
John :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Feb 2014 11:04

There’s not much information on the Medal Card.
Williams, Aneurin T

Corps – RE…. Rank- Spr….. Regtl # - 466435
Corps-RE (T)….Rank- Spr…Regtl # - 1906

Medals
Victory – Roll RE/101.B.174 – page 41555
British - -------do-----------