Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Harold Jones and May (nee) Jones alive or dead?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Catharine

Catharine Report 2 Feb 2018 00:04

My Auntie has recently been admitted to a nursing home with dementia. I am trying to discover the whereabouts of her brother and sister or their nearest relatives.
Her name is Margaret Snow (nee Jones).Parents:Harry Jones b 1891 Cowfold Sussex, mother Florence E Giacomelli b 1903 Horsham. M 1921.
Brother Harold Jones b1924 Horsham district lived in Portsmouth last time we saw him. Heard he died July 2017 but unable to find evidence and would like to trace his nephew and his son (?).
Sister May Jones b1921 Horsham district. I cannot find a May Jones alive or dead in the Horsham area. How do I go about finding if she married or has died?
Family home was ‘Lorna Doone’ in the Horsham area.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 2 Feb 2018 00:35

A member here has in their tree:

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/tree/results/jones/may?memberkey=0&yearofbirth=1921

May Jones 1921 Horsham District, West Sussex

and also has

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/tree/results/jones/harold?memberkey=0&yearofbirth=1924

Harold Jones 1924 Horsham District, West Sussex

And the same member also has Harry Jones 1922. No one else seems to have the siblings in their tree.

If that isn't someone you know already --

Just look through the first page of each list of results at those links for the right birthplace, and then you can click on the member's name to send a message.

There is no guarantee that the person has an up to date email address in their account here and so will receive notice of your message, but it is worth a try if you don't know that person.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Feb 2018 00:51

There are several entries for a Harold Jones who died in 2017 on the Probate Calendar. One of them has a death date of 10 Jul. Even though an Estate can be handled by any Probate office, Winchester, as this one is, is the nearest to the Portsmouth area.
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Although I’ve never tried it, you might be able to order a copy of the DC from GRO just using that date of death. The DC would give the place of birth as known to the informant. The informant could also be a relative.
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

The DC would be more likely to confirm if it’s the right man (£9.25) than a copy of the Will & Probate (£10) although the latter would name his heirs.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 2 Feb 2018 00:54

192.com shows a Harold Jones in Portsmouth to 2016

and also a Harry Jones to 2007

A Harry Jones died in Portsmouth in 2006, but the date of birth doesn't seem to match your Harry.

You didn't mention the brother Harry, also son of Jones and Giacomelli - are you aware of him, and perhaps of his death?

The wife of the Harold in Portsmouth might still on the electoral roll in 2018, with others. However, the dates are a little confusing if that is she.

Search here for Harold in Portsmouth, and then search for the wife's name:

http://www.192.com/all/search/

Harry 1922 may have married in Horsham in 1952.

Catharine

Catharine Report 2 Feb 2018 10:14

Hello Joonie and DetEcTive! Thank you both very much for your prompt searching! I have already contacted the fellow member with the same relatives, who unfortunately doesn’t know either. I do know about the other brother Harry (confusing!) and that the wife of the Harold that I need has already died. I shall certainly give the GRO a run though as that sounds well worth a try.
Thank you both again, you’re both stars! I love this Community...people are SO keen to help. :-D

malyon

malyon Report 2 Feb 2018 16:53

there are 2 marriges for a may jones in the sussex area early 50's

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 2 Feb 2018 19:11

You're welcome, Catharine. I meant to mention that if the Harry who married in Horsham in 1952 was yours (there wasn't another one born there in the right timeframe), unfortunately either his wife's surname at marriage wasn't her birth name or they didn't have children, from what I can tell.

Shame about the other member not having any info. Good luck with your search.

patchem

patchem Report 2 Feb 2018 23:03

Have you got an exact date of birth for May (or are prepared to buy birth certificate) so we can try and find possible deaths?

Added:
Have you found the parents in 1939?

Added:
There are the parents, 2 closed records, and Margaret Snow(Show)/Jones 1932 is showing - so someone thinks she is already dead.