Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Half-Brother born in Derry/Londonderry 1950's

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Moya P R

Moya P R Report 24 Jan 2018 17:33

He was born 1950's, in The City & County Infirmary Hospital, Northland Road, Derry/Londonderry. He will have an association with The Park Bar, Francis Street, Derry/Londonderry

You can reply to me personally at [email protected]

Rambling

Rambling Report 24 Jan 2018 17:58

Welcome to the board Moya.

Do you know if Jack married?

I can see you have a birth date for him of 1915, and yours seems to be the only tree on here with him in so knowing the half siblings mother's name might produce more results in searching trees?

Moya P R

Moya P R Report 24 Jan 2018 20:51

Hello Nyx,

Thank you for contacting me.

Jack never married. I have my DNA results on several websites, so hoping I can find matches on those. I don't have my half siblings mothers names.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Jan 2018 05:05

If he never married then don't think you have any chance of finding them .unless his name is also on the birth certs

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 25 Jan 2018 22:48

Hi Moya,

Can you say how you know Jack's date and place of birth?

Was Jack his given name or a nickname?

Would this be his birth?

Name John Mccourt
Event Type Birth
Event Date Apr - Jun 1915
Event Place Londonderry, Ireland
Registration Quarter and Year Apr - Jun 1915
Registration District Londonderry
Volume Number 2

FamilySearch seens to have two entries for that birth, for some reason:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FBBM-MPR
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FBBM-MPT

(If that is him, you should put him in your tree as John also. Just give your mother a second partner with that name. You are not likely to be confused!)

The index at Ancestry
https://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=2573
should show his mother's birth surname (assuming his parents were married)
I haven't paid up yet this year, so I can't check that.

That index can be searched for other McCourt births with the same mother's surname.

You don't say whether you knew Jack or his family, but if not, you might be able to identify siblings of his and trace descendants, in case anyone in the family knew about or was in touch with his children.

Since the half-siblings you are looking for are younger than you, I assume you did not know Jack when you were a child. Can you say, generally, how you know of them? Do you know where they were born?

Someone (possibly you?) has a Denis 1907 Londonderry in your tree, and there are other McCourts born 1905, 1905 and 1907 other trees. ... From the 1911 Irish census, they do not seem to be siblings of one another.

Do you know when and where Jack died? If a family informant was named on his death registration, that also might give you a lead.

We other members are more able to help with more information (it's extremely unlikely that one of his children would see this message themselves).

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 26 Jan 2018 10:01

Name JOHN MC COURT
Date of Birth 14 February 1915
Group Registration ID 1450225
SR District/Reg Area Londonderry
Sex Male
Mother's Birth Surname DONAGHER

The two births that Joonie has found on Familysearch are for the same child. The births were registered a week apart by different informants. Both give father Jeremiah, a Baker and mother as Rose.

JOHN McCOURT
Date of Birth 21 January 1915
Group Registration ID 1450126
SR District/Reg Area Londonderry
Sex Male
Mother's Birth Surname DONAGHOE

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 26 Jan 2018 11:05

Living in the same street as 1915 when John was born.

Ireland Census 1901 Transcription

Jeremiah McCourt Head of Family Single 33 1868 Londonderry (Derry)
James McCourt Second Single 30 1871 Londonderry (Derry)
Denis McCourt Third Single 28 1873 Londonderry (Derry)
Edward McCourt Forth Single 26 1875 Londonderry (Derry)
William McCourt Fyth Single 24 1877 Londonderry (Derry)

Census details
First name(s) Jeremiah
Last name McCourt
Relationship to head Head of Family
Marital status Single
Marital status as transcribed Not Married
Sex Male
Age 33
Birth year 1868
Birth place Londonderry (Derry)
Occupation Baker <<<<<<<<
Townland/Street Frances Street <<<<<<<<<
District electoral division Londonderry Urban No. 1
County Londonderry (Derry)
Religion Roman Catholic
Literacy Read and write
Irish language English
Family member first name(s) Jeremiah, James, Denis, Edward, William
Family member last name McCourt
Record set Ireland Census 1901
Category Census, land & surveys
Subcategory Census
Collections from Ireland
National Archives of Ireland

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 26 Jan 2018 13:27

Census Years1911LondonderryLondonderry Urban (1)Francis StreetResidents of a house
Residents of a house 17 in Francis Street (Londonderry Urban (1), Londonderry)

Mc Court Jeremiah 48 Male Head of Family Catholic Londonderry Baker Read and write English Married - 8 5 5
Mc Court Rose Ann 30 Female Wife Catholic Co Donegal House Keeper Read and write English Married - - 5 5
Mc Court William 36 Male Brother Catholic Londonderry Tailor Read and write English Single - - - -
Mc Court Mary Josephine 7 Female Daughter Catholic Londonderry Scholar Read and write English - - - - -
Mc Court Annie Francies 6 Female Daughter Catholic Londonderry Scholar Read and write English - - - - -
Mc Court Sarah Gertrude 4 Female Daughter Catholic Londonderry - Cannot read English - - - - -
Mc Court Bridget 2 Female Daughter Catholic Londonderry - Cannot read English - - - - -
Mc Court James Male Son Catholic Londonderry - Cannot read - - - - - -

Jeremiah and Rose Ann married 8 years, 5 children born

Moya P R

Moya P R Report 26 Jan 2018 13:44

Hello Everyone,

I am very grateful to you all, for helping me with my research. Thank you so much, for pointing out important details, like birth name for my Father; which I have amended on his profile.

John (known as Jack) McCourt, my Father, was born in 1915, his Mother was Roseanne Donagher, his Father was Jeremiah McCourt, a Baker.
A very close DNA match of mine, on Ancestry, has verified this.

Having been adopted, I have been told by a few family of origin members, that I do have several half siblings. Unfortunately they have no details of their Mothers names, other than they lived in or around the Derry/Londonderry area, during the timeline 1954 to 1966.

I live in hope, as my research expands, and more people join Genes Reunited, that some day soon, my details will make sense, and become a jigsaw piece, that will help complete someone's bigger picture.

:-)

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 26 Jan 2018 15:48

Excellent Choccy.

(EDIT -- Oops, sorry, I guess I didn't refresh the page -- and Moya I've seen your last post now.)

And now we see that Moya has Jeremiah in her tree here, presumably having known that already. Unfortunately, no one else does.

So this would be the family in 1911

Mc Court Jeremiah 48 Male Head of Family Catholic
Mc Court Rose Ann 30 Female Wife Catholic
Mc Court William 36 Male Brother Catholic
Mc Court Mary Josephine 7 Female Daughter Catholic
Mc Court Annie Francies 6 Female Daughter Catholic
Mc Court Sarah Gertrude 4 Female Daughter Catholic
Mc Court Bridget 2 Female Daughter Catholic
Mc Court James Male Son Catholic

The Annie 1904 that someone has in their tree here could be that Annie.

patchem

patchem Report 28 Jan 2018 08:20

Any chance that he left a will, or who was the witness on the death certificate (as JoonieCloonie asked)?

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 28 Jan 2018 19:26

Moya...

http://www.donahuefamilytree.com/about.html

Roseanne's family...

Moya P R

Moya P R Report 29 Jan 2018 21:00

Hello Eringobragh,

Thank you so very much for sending me the above link. Its very much appreciated.

Kindest Regards,
Moya