Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

russell geoffrey fagan

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Flip

Flip Report 4 Aug 2017 14:33

Hi, I'm just helping a friend but could do with some help myself please.

RGF was born 22/3/1953 in Barrow in Furness, to Stanley Fagan and Anita nee Griffiths. We know he died sometime between his fathers death (20/5/1992) and his mothers death (10/3/2004) but can't locate his death. I believe he married and was living in Germany at the time of his father's death - and had been living there since late 70s or early 80s? No idea what region though.

I've just found this on a google search but don't seem to be able to register to try send a message to the poster, and yes I know it's over 10 years old:

http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/fagan/1416/

Any help (although I don't need his ancestry as I already have that apart from the 1939 register for his parents) would be greatly appreciated.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Aug 2017 14:46

This is why you can't register!

As of September 30, 2014 all member log-in functionality and the following pages were retired and are no longer accessible: MyAccount, MyGenealogy, My Home Pages, HeritageQuest (ProQuest) content; Virtual Cemetery; Outdated and less popular help articles; and Shop.

GenForum message boards, Family Tree Maker homepages, and the most popular articles remain available in a read-only format on Genealogy.com, meaning the pages are preserved to allow you to view, but not edit information.

At least the post you found gives the name of his daughter, Anne who would now be c40 years old - born c1977?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Aug 2017 14:54

Has your friend thought of getting a copy of Anita's Grant & Will? May be the executor or other people named in the Will have helpful information.

Flip

Flip Report 4 Aug 2017 14:55

Thanks Det, that explains why I can't get onto the site.

If I'm reading the post right I think Anne would have been born around 1983 if she was 23 in 2006 when she posted. He was not in Germany as early as 1977, the earliest would have been 1979. However I've no idea where his child or children (we think there were 2) were born.

Flip

Flip Report 4 Aug 2017 14:58

No we don't have the will, but believe her other son Paul was the executor. I can suggest getting a copy though.

malyon

malyon Report 4 Aug 2017 16:39

Russell G Fagan
England and Wales Marriage Registration Index, 1837-2005
marriage registration:
Barrow In Furness, Lancashire, England
spouse:
Skeels
other:
Julia Skeels

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 4 Aug 2017 16:44

1939 REGISTER TRANSCRIPTION
Fagan Household (4 People)
16 Abbots Vale , Barrow-in-Furness C.B., Lancashire, England

Stanley Fagan
DOB 21 Mar 1925
SEX Male
OCCUPATION At School
MARITAL STATUS Single
SCHEDULE 94
SCHEDULE SUB NUMBER 4

Christopher Fagan
DOB 18 Jul 1884
SEX Male
OCCUPATION Brass Dealer Heavy Worker
MARITAL STATUS Married
SCHEDULE 94
SCHEDULE SUB NUMBER 1

Edith A Fagan
DOB 25 Mar 1888
SEX Female
OCCUPATION Unpaid Domestic Duties
MARITAL STATUS Married
SCHEDULE 94
SCHEDULE SUB NUMBER 2

Wilfred Fagan
DOB05 Mar 1922
SEX Male
OCCUPATION Apprentice Fitter Heavy Worker
MARITAL STATUS Single
SCHEDULE 94
SCHEDULE SUB NUMBER 3
Ref: RG101/4213D/008/10 Letter Code: NULL
© Findmypast Ltd

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 4 Aug 2017 17:01

Anita's record may still be closed.

Could this be her parents?

1939 REGISTER TRANSCRIPTION
Griffiths Household (5 People)
19 Church Street , Barrow-in-Furness C.B., Lancashire, England

Samuel J Griffiths
DOB 17 Sep 1902
SEX Male
OCCUPATION Engine Fitter
MARITAL STATUS Married
SCHEDULE 242
SCHEDULE SUB NUMBER 1

Annie Griffiths
DOB 31 Jan 1905
SEX Female
MARITAL STATUS Married
SCHEDULE 242
SCHEDULE SUB NUMBER 2

Sorry, this record is officially closed. Check if you can open a closed record.

Herbert Sharples
DOB 18 Jul 1875
SEX Male
MARITAL STATUS Widowed
SCHEDULE 242
SCHEDULE SUB NUMBER 4

May Sharples
DOB 01 Feb 1897
SEX Female
MARITAL STATUS Single
SCHEDULE 242
SCHEDULE SUB NUMBER 5
Ref: RG101/4210A/021/08 Letter Code:
© Findmypast Ltd

Flip

Flip Report 4 Aug 2017 17:25

Thanks for the 1939 Rootgatherer, it confirms what I thought - father Christopher. Now I can search for a marriage with his spouse foremanes as I can't find a marriage to a Cupid which was the mmn.

Mayon thanks for that marriage which I had, it was his first - but he went on to marry a second time and I don't know who to or when.

Flip

Flip Report 4 Aug 2017 17:29

OK, got the marriage in 1906, but in Liverpool

Marriages Mar 1906 (>99%)

Cupid Edith Alice W. Derby 8b 473 Scan available - click to view
FAGAN Christopher W. Derby 8b 473 Scan available - click to view
FISHER Mary W. Derby 8b 473 Scan available - click to view
Tilley William W. Derby 8b 473

Flip

Flip Report 4 Aug 2017 17:37

I think the 1939 is spot on for Annie Sharples (Griffiths) she married Samuel in 1927, so probably Anita was the closed record. She had a sister Barbara but she wasn't born until around 1941.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Aug 2017 17:37

Yes - you're right about the approx year of birth. I'd miss-read the date ie the post she was replying to
In reply to: fagan family barrow in furness uk 10/19/00
:-(

Flip

Flip Report 4 Aug 2017 18:15

I don't know if Anne got any further with her research, but Christopher referred to in that post was her dad's oldest uncle born in 1906.

Hey, you're not the only one getting dates wrong - I get the calculator out sometime these days!

What I'm really trying to find is what happened to RGF after the 1974 marriage (posted by Malyon, which is correct) and was known to be still in England in 1979. We know he went on to have a family (including I presume Anne who posted on the website). bit we cam't find his marriage or subsequent children or his death. My friend thinks he went to Germany in 1979/81 and eventually died there, so possibly married there and had his children.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Aug 2017 18:56

Unless his death was reg at the British Consulate you won't find it online

The same with his children's birth records

Flip

Flip Report 4 Aug 2017 18:58

Hi Shirley, can you check out the deaths of british nationals dying oversees please - think they are on FMP? I don't have the subs to do that.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Aug 2017 20:01

I'd looked for overseas deaths on FMP earlier on. Nada. As we are all part of the EU, it wouldn't be necessary to register it with the consul. Ditto births unless they thought it necessary to claim British citizenship.

There's no Probate records for him, so presumably he didn't have any Estate held in the UK.

Flip

Flip Report 4 Aug 2017 20:16

Thanks Det, and no I don't believe he had estate in UK. So unless I can contact his daughter Anne don't think I will find the death, unless I can find his brother Paul.

Apparently my friend reckons there was an obituary in the local newspape (NW evening mail), but not online that I can see so it could take months of research at the local records office to span 12 years - and I'm not local.

Maybe his wife or daughter wlll spot this post at some point if they google his name - who knows!

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 4 Aug 2017 22:21

Stanley's brother Wilfred married in 1946 and had two daughters. Perhaps they kept in touch with their cousin.

WILFRED HUBERT
Last name FAGAN
Gender Male
Birth day 5
Birth month 3
Birth year 1922
Age -
Death quarter 2
Death year 2000
District Ulverston
District number 3821
Register number 19D
Entry number 286
Date of registration mm/yy 0600
County Lancashire
Country England
Record set England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Deaths & burials
Collections from Great Britain, England
© Findmypast

Flip

Flip Report 6 Aug 2017 13:41

Thanks for that Rootgatherer, I have their details but she is reluctant to contact the family as when the first marriage broke down there was a lot of ill feeling from them. I'll have to respect her wishes, and leave this to see if the second family find this post and make contact.

patchem

patchem Report 6 Aug 2017 20:40

Have you followed the standard advice and added a postem on free bmd to his birth record?