Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My sister Wendy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Denise

Denise Report 26 Feb 2016 16:59

I am looking for my half sister Wendy she was adopted when she was very young by my mother's sister Hilda who lived in Nottingham. I don't think she had any other children but I am not sure. My mother Sarah is dead now and I am sixty four and really would like to meet my big sister before it's to late.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 26 Feb 2016 17:09

Hi Denise

Can you give us the details of Hilda.

When and where she was born and if she married?

We could then match up the birth with a sister Sarah.

We might then be able to find out if Hilda had any children of her own.

Do you know if Hilda was married when she adopted Wendy? And do you know if she kept the name Wendy?

It might be that Wendy kept the name Wendy but took on the surname of Hilda's husband?

Prickles.;o))

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 26 Feb 2016 19:38

Denise, since your mum has died, can you tell us her surname?

birth surname and married surname if she married

you and Wendy had different dads? Wendy is older than you?

with your mother's birth surname we can probably find Hilda's married name and her death, if she has since died as well

unfortunately your message is a puzzle with too many pieces missing ... even Wendy herself would never find this message if she googled her name or her mother's for instance

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 27 Feb 2016 11:09

PM sent to Denise to let her know that she has received replies.

Prickles.;o))

Denise

Denise Report 28 Feb 2016 15:59

My mother's maiden name was Dexter and her married name was Redman. Hilda was married when she adopted Wendy but I don't know if Wendy was named by my Mother Sarah or my aunt Hilda. I think Hilda's married name was Belshaw but I am not sure, I also believe she could have worked for the Boots company in Nottingham. I believe she is buried in Carlton cemetary in Nottingham. Wendy was born before me and we had different fathers, there were also to other siblings a girl called Irene and a boy called Michael whom I saw once when he found my mum. As to both of these siblings as in Wendy's case we all had different fathers. My mother then had four children with my stepfather who's name was William Wanford, my mother was pregnant with me when they first met and he was the only father I knew although my real father was called Frank Brown from whom my mother received maintenance till I was sixteen, but I never met him. Sadly my mother died in 1987.

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Feb 2016 16:40

Hilda Dexter born 1912? ( mmn Hands) If so have you contacted the tree owners who have her in their tree?

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Feb 2016 16:47

The Hilda who married Belshaw had middle initial M ( there are several so not sure without confirming Sarah's mothers maiden name to match).

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Feb 2016 16:56

Denise has Sarah born 1923, so the mmn Hands seems to be correct,

in which case I am not sure of that Belshaw marriage, as it has the middle initial, there is an earlier one for Hilda without initial, unfortunately to Smith

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Feb 2016 17:23

There is a marriage for a Wendy and no corresponding birth ? so that looks a possible after all? will send a PM with current info

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 28 Feb 2016 19:19

Is the the one in Skegness Rose?

Rose

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 28 Feb 2016 19:26

for further confirmation, this death

Name: Hilda Belshaw
Birth Date: 13 Jun 1912
Date of Registration: Dec 1979
Age at Death: 67
Registration district: Nottingham
Inferred County: Nottinghamshire
Volume: 8
Page: 1043

matches this birth

Births Sep 1912 (born June, registered July)
Dexter Hilda (Hands) Nottingham 7b 674

Denise you do know all the other people who have both Hilda and Wendy in their trees at this site?

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Feb 2016 19:46

Yes Rose it is, Denise has not opened the message yet.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 28 Feb 2016 19:47

There's a picture of her in an interview in The Sun if you Google.

Rose

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Feb 2016 19:53

well spotted Rose :-)