Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching for Annie Winters my birth mother

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Katharine

Katharine Report 3 Jan 2016 19:02

Hi, I am searching for Annie Winters my birth mother. My birth name is Katharine Winters I was born in Burton upon Trent in 1964. I hope you can help.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Jan 2016 22:09

Do you have your birth cert as not seeing a cert with mmn winters

There is one for that year reg distict burton but not with mmn as winters

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Jan 2016 22:24

As Shirley says, I too can find a birth in the right district and year but mother's maiden name is not Winters.

Kath. x

Katharine

Katharine Report 4 Jan 2016 00:41

Thank you I do have a birth certificate her maiden name is Annie Hannigan.

Katharine

Katharine Report 4 Jan 2016 00:52

Further to the above I do realise I may have a half brother called Mark born in 1968.
Thank you for the responses.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 4 Jan 2016 00:53

Can you list locations, years and a marriage for her? Not seeing this in England or Wales.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 4 Jan 2016 00:56

I see you have a brother born in 1968. Do you have your adoption file? Any other information that could help?

Rose

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 4 Jan 2016 01:54

if Annie Hannigan was her 'proper' name ... no Annie Hannigan was born in England/Wales after 1916

and no Annie Hannigan married after 1961

in particular, not to a Winters

is her age given on your birth certificate? occupation?

since you were registered in your father's surname, do you have knowledge of him?

on the certificate, she is Winters formerly Hannigan, i.e. they were married?

(if you know your father and mother did not stay together, this is useful information - otherwise we could try looking for them together, like on an electoral roll ... there is an Annie Winters with husband Samuel (him probably deceased) in Northern Ireland, just for example ... otherwise possibly he woud have knowledge of Annie, etc.)

might she or both of them have come from Ireland?

for instance, an Annie Hannigan was born in Ireland in 1939

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F143-SJR

that seems to be the latest birth there for the name as well

and 1959 appears to be the last date accessible for marriages in Ireland

to get help, it is important that we know as much as you know (other than private details not appropriate to put on the internet) - or even if you don't want to share the actual info, just to tell us that you do have 'x' or 'y' fact

Katharine

Katharine Report 4 Jan 2016 13:15

Thank you for your replies. I am in the process of accessing my adoption records. What my adoptive mother was told is that Annie's husband was not my father. Hence the absence of a father on my certificate. It was also said she was Irish which fits in. I have applied for Mark's birth certificate to see if a father is named on that. But not sure what else to do.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Jan 2016 14:16

Will send a private message to you with the address of a Mark Winters in Staffordshire. No guarantee he is the right one though.

Kath. x

Kay????

Kay???? Report 4 Jan 2016 17:25

Crossed out ref and addded details appear against 1968 birth.!

Katharine

Katharine Report 4 Jan 2016 19:03

Sorry I don't understand that message?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 4 Jan 2016 20:50

Katharine,,,,when an original birth entry is amended it means that an change of ie--a name change has taken place,this is often confirmed by /S letter and a series of numbers.
as example---6a--195.......to 6a--1102/s

look at the actual image of your brothers birth entry to see how it appears.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 4 Jan 2016 20:53

I think Kay???? was saying that in the GRO index, the registration info for the 1968 birth has been amended to indicate adoption ... so it may be unlikely that he will appear under his birth name in later records like the electoral roll

(oops, Kay???? was typing as I was :-) )

so from what you have said, your Annie was married to a Mr Winters

(that is why you were registered in his name, since a birth to a married woman had to be registered in her husband's surname, regardless of who the father was, although it could be registered in the father's surname as well)

it seems that the Irish index of marriages just isn't accessible quite late enough, 1959 being the last date available at Ancestry at present

I wonder whether you will be able to get Mark's birth certificate ... I had thought not, since for births in the last 50 years (not quite at that point yet) a lot of extra identifying info must be provided, but possibly his mother's full name was sufficient

Katharine

Katharine Report 5 Jan 2016 00:39

Thank you I did see the GRO amendment which worried me.as could not understand the comments.... Thought he might have died. I have applied for his certificate but obviously gave some vague details for those I was unsure of, so hopefully they will issue it. But sure she had her reasons if that is the case. So odd I had a baby boy doll when I was about 4 /5 about the time I know he was now born and I called him Mark. Just hope he is ok. Thank you

lavender

lavender Report 7 Jan 2016 01:18

I was drawn to an Annie Winters b 1949 no area given on the Members Trees.

I appreciate you haven't been looking under that surname but the Member gives her contact name as Annie Winters also..? And the name is in capital letters..

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 7 Jan 2016 01:33

in all likelihood though that is the same Annie as in the tree of the other person with the Croydon 1949 Annie in their tree

Katharine

Katharine Report 7 Jan 2016 13:25

Thank you. But it seems unlikely given I have my birth mother's maiden name on my certificate and the age of that Annie Winters

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 7 Jan 2016 18:51

Dianne we all know when and where the presumed brother was born

but because he is almost certainly living, nobody posted the registration details as to do so is intrusive of privacy, so please edit your post to remove that registration info

I have no idea why you are looking at the 1961 Winters marriage, presumably just because of the location?

that person married someone completely different and there is a birth to that marriage

there is every possibility that the people who married in 1961 are also still living

so given those facts, that marriage and birth registration info should also be deleted