Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

carr family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

marie

marie Report 5 Dec 2015 16:11

i was born in 1976 my mother Margaret Carr was in a relationship with my father who unfortunately was never told about , this is a long shot but i am trying to find anyone that new my mum , she was born in Staffordshire and lived on new-house rd in stoke on Trent
any information will be greatly appreciated
thankyou

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Dec 2015 18:32

Welcome to the boards Marie.

Could you clarify something please? Are you in contact with your mum/her family or do you want to find them?
Alternatively, are you hoping someone who knew her might shed some light on who your birth father was? As I'm sure you'll appreciate, it would come as tremendous shock for a man to be told he fathered a child 38/39 years ago!

Depending on her age when you were born, have you thought of looking on Friendsreunited for an appropriate school or workplace section?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 5 Dec 2015 20:45

Could I ask if you were adopted? Looking at what appears to be your birth in the indexes there is "/s" at the end of the page number which often indicates that the child was adopted.

Kath. x

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 7 Dec 2015 19:44

deleting info re tree search here as Marie is not looking for Margaret

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 7 Dec 2015 20:09

deleting info re Margaret's family as Marie is not looking for Margaret

marie

marie Report 7 Dec 2015 20:31

Thanks guys . My mum was Margaret Carr she died 5 years ago but never told me who my dad was , they were together when I was born but thas all I know . Family I have asked say they don't know

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 7 Dec 2015 23:41

Marie were you adopted and you reunited with Margaret later?

if that is the case have you had access to your adoption file?

it could be that Margaret gave some info about your father that was recorded at the time ... but likely you have tried that route

as I mentioned earlier it is best to explain what you have done yourself to try to find info, so we don't suggest things you have already tried

the only thing I ever suggest in such seemingly hopeless situations is that DNA testing might (someday) find clues, if not a firm answer

if you were a son, you could do a YDNA test which identifies the DNA passed from father to son ... unfortunately for women this kind of close matching is not possible

there is another kind of testing that can identify related people up to the fifth cousin degree, which the company I use calls 'family finder' (autosomal testing) ... it is based on DNA that is passed on by both parents

if you were to receive a match, it would be a matter of ruling out your mother's side of the family, and if that was not the source of the match, it would be on your father's side

depending on how close it was, it could point you toward a family related to your father

the success of all of these tests depend on someone related having done the same testing, and that is a very big 'if' ... I had amazing luck myself when I did get a match with my maternal grandfather's YDNA, but have had no matches (in three years since testing) for my father's YDNA, for example

if you were interested, I could explain more about the process.