Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Peter Cox - Adopted half brother

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 4 Aug 2015 12:42

iSLE OR WIGHT BIRTH AND ADOPTION. Still searching for my half brother born around 1953/54/55 in Cowes. Birth mother Ann, father Peter Cox/Hurst. Named Peter, but then adopted. His maternal grandmother ran a pub in Southampton. If you know anything please contact me.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 4 Aug 2015 13:16

Are you on the national adoption contact register?

If your half brother knows he was adopted, and has any interest in finding birth family, he may be on there

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 4 Aug 2015 16:15

if you know his (or his mother's) birth surname, you can find his birth record at

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

so you at least have an accurate year for his birth. Since it was over 50 years ago, you could obtain his birth certificate if you don't know his exact date of birth.

He appears not to have been registered in Isle of Wight under either surname you mention.

at freebmd you can add a 'postem' to his birth record saying you would like contact. There is no internal messaging system there so you need to include an email address (get an anonymous permanent account on line like at gmail) where you can be reached in case he or a family member looks there for his birth record. You could also add 'postems' to records relating to your family - yourself, your shared parent - so if he looks for his birth family there he will also find you. If you subscribe to Ancestry (even the 14 day free trial) you can do the same there.

be sure to keep your email address at this website current so that if he or his family see your message in future (not likely but possible) they can contact you.

also click 'Watch this' on this thread so you receive notice of any replies.

and put yourself, your shared parent (only if deceased) and your half-brother under his birth name in your family tree at this website.

and of course, as Jacqueline says, register with the national adoption contact register!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 4 Aug 2015 17:11

Do you know Ann's maiden name? I assume she wasn't married to your father so Peter would be registered in her surname.

Rose

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 4 Aug 2015 18:10

that was what I said ...

I was thinking perhaps Stephanie shares her father with Peter and does not know the name he was registered in, in which case none of our advice so far will help of course :-(

edit ... from 'missing you' posts on line for 'Peter Cox/Hurst' it seems this is the case ... Stephanie doesn't know Peter's surname at birth / his mother's surname

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 4 Aug 2015 20:04

Stephanie can you explain what you mean by 'Peter Cox/Hurst'?

your father used different surnames?

it's possible that your half-brother Peter was given his father's surname as a middle name, although this was more common in an earlier day

in that case it could be worth looking for a 'Peter C' or 'Peter H' birth

in neither case is there one where the surname is the same as the mother's surname in Isle of Wight 1943-1945 however

have you gone through the Peters born there in that period to identify the births with the surname the same as the mother's surname?

on a quick skim I see only Beazley, Bloomfield, Raffo (reregistered under another surname later), Skelton ... and in 1946 there are Kentfield, King and Taylor

if his mother was not already married, those would seem to be the only births that fit your description

however there was a Cox in 1942, have you considered that possibility?

... and also a Hirst/Hirst birth in 1946 ... ?

have you investigated this way at all, or limited yourself to posting messages on the internet in the hope someone will see them?

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 6 Aug 2015 01:21

Many thanks to those of you that have contacted me regarding my search. I have such limited information on my half brother- My Dad was Peter Cox (the name Hurst may not be relevant), he had a girlfriend Ann, they had a child Peter in 1952/53/54/55 and he was adopted. I have contacted adoption agencies, but there is a massive fee for them to investigate. I have also searched on Genes Reunited, but there is no record of a birth. I was hoping he/his adopted family or maternal family would see this.
His mother may also have registered the birth elsewhere if she was staying with relatives.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 6 Aug 2015 08:29

No-one mentioned agencies.

Our advice was to put yourself on the national adoption contact register

https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 6 Aug 2015 12:19

Jacqueline a serious question since I am not very familiar with adoption procedures

if one is not adopted one's self, and one knows only the given name and father's name of a (presumed) adopted child, can one put one's self on the register?

if so, it would be useful -- the adopted person might learn who their birth family was and register with that info?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 6 Aug 2015 13:49

Stephanie ,,,,,You cant add yourself to the adoption register unless you know all the full birth details of the adoptee,,,,,,and if those details are known you will still need an acting intermedairy agency to liase and at present the min cost is about £200+,,,the Concacts Adoption Register,do not undetake to search or be involved in a reunion.

The adopted person adding themselves to the gov contacts register already knows their birth details and usually has recived any documents in relation to themselves, as without it they cant be added to the register.