Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Seach for my birth father

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tracey

Tracey Report 11 Jun 2015 13:42

I am trying to find my birth father John McCoy. I have very little to go on other than he was possibly born around 1944, my birth mother was Eileen Smith and was 16 when I was born, I have been told he was slightly older than her, she was born in 1950 but I have since found her. She was not willing to tell me anything. I'm hoping someone out there can help

Tracy :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Jun 2015 14:00

Welcome to the Boards Tracey.

Was the name on your birth certificate, or did you get it from your adoption files?

If you know were your birth mother was living when you were conceived - town etc - that may help to narrow down the choices. Even so, living in an area doesn't necessarily mean that he was born there

You may also need to consider if he knew you existed.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Jun 2015 14:15

Does she have siblings ? Would they know any info however small

Mind you they may not be willing to talk so as not to upset her and cause a rift

Tracey

Tracey Report 16 Jun 2015 08:44

Sorry for late reply, I do have sisters, have met them and have recently asked if they could ask our birth mother more about my father but I'm just not getting any reply, she did try to get maintenance from him back in the 60's at chatham county court, I've emailed them but they really need a case number which I don't have. I burnt all of my birth file in a fit of anger back in the 90's, wish they had a copy.

Tracy

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Jun 2015 08:01

Were the ones you burnt your adoption files !

I did read somewhere copies are with the court papers as well as the adoption/social services. So maybe you can get a copy

When I asked about siblings was thinking about your mums family rather than your own ones

Tracey

Tracey Report 17 Jun 2015 12:39

Yes I have sisters and brothers from my birth mother, all different fathers and given up for adoption, and yes I burnt my adoption files x