Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rosemary and Sylvia Brooks born: 1933 and 1926

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lari

Lari Report 20 Feb 2015 16:48

Hello Everyone on the team!
I am looking for two descendants of one Arthur William Brooks (born Loddon, Norfolk 1898, died Southampton 1985) and his wife, Ruby Rowlands (1905, Portsmouth – 1985 Southampton).
They left two daughters: Rosemary Brooks 1932/1933, Portsmouth, and Sylvia Brooks 1925/1926.
Mr Brooks was a carpenter, and during the late fifties emigrated to Australia to Freemantle where he and his wife appear on voter lists till the late 1970’s. Rosemary emigrated with mum and dad, and Sylvia followed a few years later.
Arthur and his wife then returned to UK and are recorded as dying in Southampton. Records show they were cremated in Southampton crematorium.
I do not know what happened to the daughters, but would dearly like to contact them for they are the greatgrandchildren of my great greatgrandmother, and there is a chance they are stlll alive.
Australian records are hopeless should they have married.
I am reluctant to buy one of the death certificates for Arthur and Ruby above, should the next of kin not been the informants.
Any information/ideas would be gratefully received.
Lari Parc

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 20 Feb 2015 16:56

Have you looked in search trees?

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 20 Feb 2015 16:56

Someone called Yvonne has a Sylvia Brooks born in Australia in her tree on here. Might be worth contacting her in case she's mistaken about the birth place.

Rose

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 20 Feb 2015 17:00

Births Mar 1926 (>99%)
Brooks Sylvia G Rowlands Portsmouth 2b 658

Births Mar 1933 (>99%)
BROOKS Rosemary M Rowlands Portsmouth 2b 677

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 20 Feb 2015 17:04

Rosemary and her parents actually emigrated in 1951......not the 'late' fifties

Sylvia joined them in 1959

First name(s) S G
Last name BROOKS
Title MISS
Gender Female
Birth year 1926
Birth day 7
Birth month 2
Marital status S
Occupation CLERICAL
Departure year 1959
Departure day 4
Departure month 3
Departure port LONDON
Destination port FREMANTLE
Destination FREMANTLE
State Western Australia
Country AUSTRALIA
Destination country AUSTRALIA
Ship name ORONTES
Ship master's first name G
Ship master's last name CRADDOCH

Lari

Lari Report 20 Feb 2015 17:05

Hello: thanks for replies!

Clever: Sylvia Brooks born in Oz - definitely worth following that one up

thanks!

LP

Lari

Lari Report 20 Feb 2015 17:10

Superb!

I have already contacted the 'mysterious' Yvonne: let's hope we get a speedy reply!

thanks again

LP

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Feb 2015 17:11

First name top( edit Top left!) of page, you could see if the will names her daughters?

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=brooks&yearOfDeath=1985&page=10#calendar

Lari

Lari Report 20 Feb 2015 17:16

Rambling Rose! Hyperbole fails me: never heard of that site - thankyou. Have to dash off now, but that is 'our' Ruby Brooks. Will follow it up soon.

Those lovely blue flowers don't look like roses to me . . . what are they?

thanks again

LP

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Feb 2015 17:31

Lari it's quite a new addition to the Gov.UK site, hope that it may help :-)

The blue flowers are flax :-)

Lari

Lari Report 21 Feb 2015 10:33

Hello again Everyone on the 'Investigations Team'!

Thankyou for your ideas and help. I have now ordered a copy of the will of Ruby Irene Brooks wife of a distant relative. It might show the details of the two ladies Rosemary Brooks and Sylvia Brooks, and perhaps allow me to contact them: i have some genealogical questions for them . . .

Ah, flax, gorgeous plant by way of its lovely fibres - nice clothes - and seeds and oils, and as i realize now, beautiful blue flowers.

Once again, thankyou all very much.

LP