Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adopted Aunt

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

April

April Report 4 Jan 2015 14:40

Can any help please. Before my grandparents got married that had a baby girl (Jeanette) but my Nan was forced to put the baby up for adoption. I know her name, date and place of birth. My nan thought about her often as do we all, my Mum (who would be Jeanette half sister) saw her once as a baby before she was taken away. It would be wonderful if I could find her.
Anyone know were I would start looking or how to go about it?
Many many thanks April

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Jan 2015 15:05

try putting your name on the Adoption Contact Register and look on search members trees which is under the Search heading above the boards

MissMarpleInTheMaking

MissMarpleInTheMaking Report 4 Jan 2015 19:37

Wow, this story is very like mine. Only that I have no name, DOB and I am in Northern Ireland.

Does your mum know the agency who set up the adoption? (If it was a formal adoption). I think you could get information that way.

April

April Report 5 Jan 2015 14:36

I only know her name at birth, of course this could have changed after her adoption. No, I don't know the agency. My Nans mother arranged the entire thing so as not to brings shame on the family. I should ass that my Nan and Grandad celebrated Jeanettes birthday every year until they passed away, she was never forgotten

MissMarpleInTheMaking

MissMarpleInTheMaking Report 5 Jan 2015 15:02

This story is so similar to mine. ??

Have you tried putting the name and DOB that you know into the search box?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Jan 2015 16:26

As Shirley suggested, add yourselves to the adoption contact register, and hope that she has too.
https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register

Make sure that she and your Gran are listed on your tree.

Assuming a birth in England or Wales, find the entry on http://www.freebmd.org.uk/ and add a Post’em. Leave a generic, specific, email address so that current relatives can contact you eg @Hotmail, @gmail or any other free ones you know of.

Put her name, that of your grandmother by birth name, place of birth and month/year of birth on this thread. One day she or a relative might google her birth name and read this. Over the last few weeks, at least one person has been reunited with his birth family this way.

Even if you decide to let your sub to GR lapse, make sure that they always have your current email address. That way someone in the future will be able to send you a private message by clicking on your name.

April

April Report 6 Jan 2015 17:45

Thank you all for your help, Id not heard of FreeBDM before will definitely give that a go. I just hope that after all these years I get a lead. :-)

MissMarpleInTheMaking

MissMarpleInTheMaking Report 15 Jan 2015 20:04

If you want someone else to check then maybe private message details to one of us and we can check with you. ...

I hope you do get a lead. It can be so frustrating!