Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Kenilworth Warwickshire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joanne

Joanne Report 15 Oct 2014 15:10

Looking for anyone who may have lived in Kenilworth in the 1950's 1960's and onwards as my birth sister was adopted to a family who lived there. My sister was born in 1951 and was adopted to a family who lived in Kenilworth, they had an unusual surname, I am told my sister kept the name Joanne, also the road she lived in is no longer there...any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Oct 2014 15:49

Kennilworth is a big area so its unlikely anyone will pick up your enquiry

Have you looked on Search trees to see if she is listed

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 15 Oct 2014 17:32

Are you signed up to the national adoption contact register?

patchem

patchem Report 15 Oct 2014 18:25

Do you know what the name of the road was that is no longer there?

My husband's family have links to the area.

Thank-you.

Joanne

Joanne Report 16 Oct 2014 12:47

Thank you patchem for replying...unfortunately I don't I have trawled old electoral rolls and maps to compare with recent but it is a minefield...my birth sister was born in 1951 and wondered if anyone went to school in Kenilworth from 1956 onwards and may have known a Joanne with a very unusual surname????Would your husband know what parts of Kenilworth have been redeveloped? Thank you

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 16 Oct 2014 15:53

You don't say if you have put your details on the national adoption contact register.
Who told you these details about your sister? Just wondering how they know about the family?
Jan

Gritty

Gritty Report 16 Oct 2014 16:19

Hello, am I understanding correctly, that you don't know what the unusual surname is?

Joanne

Joanne Report 16 Oct 2014 16:44

Hi Jan...given the information about my birth sister from Warwickshire County Council Social Services...yes my details are on the contact register.

Hi Gritty...no I don't know the unusual surname, would be so much easier if I did...been searching the electoral rolls for Kenilworth for the year she would have been 18 but not found anything yet but then the family may have left the area.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 16 Oct 2014 17:05

It's a very long shot, but have you looked for marriages of anyone with a very unusual surname in the relevant area? It seems that Kenilworth is under Warwick & Leamington reg district.

Then look for a corresponding birth with that surname. If you find no birth record, it might be the person you are after. You would have to check there isn't a previous marriage though.

For example, if you find a marriage for a Joanne Mystery but there is no birth for her, look for a Joanne marrying a Mystery. If there is no such marriage she would be worth considering.

It's a needle in a haystack really, but as you have so few other avenues to explore might be worth having a look.

I usually go with the assumption that if someone marries, it's between the age of 18 & 38! I start with 21-31 then widen the search.

Jan

jax

jax Report 16 Oct 2014 17:10

The voting age was 21 until 1969 and she could well have married by then

Of course she was 18 in 1969

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 16 Oct 2014 18:02

I have had a go looking for a possible marriage, but not wanting to raise hopes I confess PM'd the findings to Jax for a 2nd look! She too seems unable to find a corresponding birth.
Jax kindly did a bit more digging, will PM everything we found.
It might come to nothing, but at least it will demonstrate what you might try doing for other marriages.
Jan