Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Catherine B Hicks

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Edwin

Edwin Report 27 Sep 2014 11:14

Catherine was born in Aston, and last heard of in Kinstanding, Birmingham in 1945.
I have searched the death indexes which were available up until 2005, but she was not listed so I think that she was alive at that time. She would now be 90 yrs old. I would dearly like some information.
Ted W. :-)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 Sep 2014 12:24

Welcome to the boards Ted.

Do you know if Catherine married? Is this her birth? :-

First name(s) CATHERINE B
Last name HICKS
Birth year 1924
Birth quarter 1
Registration month -
Mother's last name COX
District ASTON
County Warwickshire
Country England
Volume 6D
Page 862

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 Sep 2014 12:35

Could this be a possibility if she emigrated:-

First name(s) CATHERINE
Last name HICKS
Gender Female
Age 23
Birth year 1924
Occupation TYPIST
Departure year 1947
Departure day 8
Departure month 10
Departure port LIVERPOOL
Destination port MONTREAL
Destination MONTREAL
Country CANADA
Destination country CANADA
Ship name EMPRESS OF CANADA
Ship official number 160631
Ship master's first name H H
Ship master's last name DAVIES
Shipping line CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILWAY COMPANY
City LIVERPOOL
Ship destination port MONTREAL
Ship destination country CANADA
Ship registered tonnage 11243
Number of passengers 685
Record set Passenger Lists leaving UK 1890-1960
Category Travel & migration
Record collection Passenger lists
Collections from Australasia, Great Britain, Ireland, United States

The last address in England was given as 19 Dronfield Road, Stoke, Coventry.

Coventry isn't a million miles from Kingstanding.

Kath. x

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 27 Sep 2014 16:42

There are 2 entries on the electoral register for Catherine B Hicks in Warren Farm Road Perry Barr, which us the right sort of area, 1950 and 1955 - does this ring a bell?
Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 27 Sep 2014 16:45

Please note that also at the above are also William, Catherine and Joyce E.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 27 Sep 2014 17:24

In-coming passenger list @ Ancestry shows a possible return,,,,,,,

Catherine B Hicks,,,,,,destination-Liverpool.

Pam

Pam Report 27 Sep 2014 18:30

On the Passenger List original in Column 9 which is headed "Country of Intended Future Permanent Residence" it says England.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 Sep 2014 20:38

Well spotted Pam. I hadn't noticed that.

Kath. x

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 28 Sep 2014 01:34

hi Ted, do you know Catherine's middle name and exact date of birth?

(don't put her date of birth here, but her middle name if you know it)

that information can be used to search the deaths index, in case she had a different surname when she died

it's possible she was born in 1923 rather than 1924, and her birth not registered til the new year, for example

a Catherine Hicks (no middle name/initial) died in Berkshire in 1993 who was born in March 1924 ... you could only rule out that death by comparing the birth dates on the death certificate and your Catherine's birth certificate

conversely ... hers is the only birth for the name Catherine B Hicks from 1916 onward, and there is a marriage for that name in 1988 in Fulham ... (and no apparent previous marriage of a Catherine B to a Hicks after 1919 to account for that name)

have you ever been in contact with any of her family members?

brothers seem to have been
Frederick A, 1921
William S, 1924

Edwin

Edwin Report 1 Oct 2014 12:03

Thanks Kath, Jan, Pam and everyone for so much information. I did know that Catherine had been born in the Mar qtr of 1924, in Aston, mother's name Cox, and had seen the censuses of 1950-1955 when she was 31 living with parents and unmarried.
Yes a Catherine Hicks did ship out to Canada, but she returned. It was not my Cathy. Unfortunately I never knew her middle name, just the initial B.
The Catherine who married in Fulham in 1988 could possibly have been her, but she would have been 64 yrs old. The fact that she was unmarried age 31 is remarkable for such an attractive girl, but I have come to the conclusion that she never married. Anyway, I searched the death indexes for her maiden name Hicks. It is possible that the lady who died in Berkshire in1993 could possibly have been her, but I am working on the assumption that she was alive after 2005.
She would now be 90, if still alive, but I would dearly like to talk with her again. There is so much to say and hear.
Ted x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 Oct 2014 13:58

If you bought the birth certificate you would at least have her middle name which might help with finding the right person.

Kath. x

Edwin

Edwin Report 1 Oct 2014 15:47

Thanks Kath, I will get her birth certificate as you suggest.
Ted x :-)

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 1 Oct 2014 16:13

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1345162