Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Search for birthmother/relatives

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

anna

anna Report 28 Aug 2014 10:20

Born 15 January 1958 in London to Mary Holdgate who had been working as a childrens nurse in France and returned to England for my birth.
I believe my father was French and she returned to France after my birth, I was adopted at eight months old.
Unable to find record of her birth but have found record of a death in 1966.
Would love to hear from any living relatives.
She lived in London at time of my birth and named me Christina.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Aug 2014 12:32

It may help if you get the death cert .the informant could be family

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Aug 2014 12:52

She seems to haven been in London still in 1963

Name: Mary Holdgate
Year: 1963
County or Borough: Westminster
Ward or Division/Constituency: St Marylebone
Street address: 24 Garden Road
Reference Number: LCC/PER/B/2868

Year: 1959
County or Borough: Westminster
Ward or Division/Constituency: St Marylebone
Street address: Durrents Hotel ,George street

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Aug 2014 12:58

There is another Mary Holdgate in Kensington with a Roy Holdgate

Is this any family connection

Do you have your adoption file ?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Aug 2014 13:03

Birth Date: abt 1934
Date of Registration: Jun 1966
Age at Death: 32
Registration district: Paddington
Inferred County: London
Volume: 5d
Page: 473

Is this the one you found ?

anna

anna Report 28 Aug 2014 23:12

Thankyou for the reply, though I dont quite understand the connection and how you found the information you provide. I have very little information and no adoption file. only what I have been told and from my birth certificate which shows an address in Putney and place of birth at St Stephens hospital Chelsea.
Yes that is the death certificate I found but have not found any birth record for an appropriate year.
Do you know the age of the one in Kensington?
I have always been wary of causing distress if my birth had been a secret1
The advantage I have is the " d" in Holdgate being fewer than without!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Aug 2014 11:58

Sorry been having internet connection problems .now sorted!!

I found the electoral roll info on Ancestry that hold them for the London area to 1965

they don't give ages though .

Found the one only for a Mary and Roy Holdgate but cant see any marriage for a Roy to a Mary nor can I see a birth that may fit him.

You are entitled to your adoption file .this could be a big source of info including your Mary,s age .

I would recommend you try and obtain it through the adoption agency who handled your adoption .

Am wondering too how you have the info you state if you haven't seen your adoption record

jax

jax Report 29 Aug 2014 14:39

The Roy holdgate who is with mary in the 1965 seems to have appeared out of no where :-S :-S. Nothing before or after unless they were not from England or Wales.... Maybe you should get the death cert to see if that could be her

anna

anna Report 2 Sep 2014 22:21

Thankyou for your suggestions, just to summarise
Most info I have from my birthmother and from my birth certificate which I obtained
from a socialworker in 80s and was told at time, that The national adoption society
closed dination record at six months in Paris, hence she must have returned after my birth.

own and so obtaining records of my adoption might prove difficult!
My parents were always open about my adoption and I have had a very happy life.My intention if I ever found my birthmother was only to have an opportunity to thank her for giving me the chance of a life Ihave had!
I always wondered what circumstances led her to wait 8 months before that decision. Of course in the 50s , to be unmarried with a child did not leave much hope!I only found out recently about the French connection and I have a vaccination record in France at 6 months, evidence she returned after my birtth.
If indeed the death in 1966 is her, my search would focus on any living relatives.
Cannot find record of any birth for her, there are for me, many "wonders"