Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for my sister Brenda Hearn

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 27 Aug 2014 16:55

Hi everyone,

I was adopted in 1954 in the year of my birth via Eastbourne Social Services and I would like to find my sister who was also adopted in the same year, but she was two years older than me. I would also like to find my birth parents. As I am now 60 I know they could already have passed away, but I don't want to wait any longer to find out and am especially keen to locate my sister. The details I have are:

Sister: Brenda Audrey Hearn, born in Eastbourne 25/04/1952
Mother: Audrey Emily Hearn (nee Crosby), born 10/08/1929
Father: Patrick William Hearn, born 15/10/1929

I am on the adopted contact register and I have searched the family trees on here for these names but to no avail.

Any help anyone could suggest would be very much appreciated!

Thank you x

greyghost

greyghost Report 27 Aug 2014 17:17

Using the free site http://www.freebmd.org.uk

there is a marriage for an Audrey E Hearn in 1957 in Eastbourne and from that marriage there appears to be 3 children all born in Eastbourne RD.

A possible 3rd marriage also in Eastbourne in 1972 to an Eric L Parry who looks to have died in 1995.

I can't see a death for Audrey up to 2007 when online records cease- b 1929 so could well be still alive.

Am not seeing a birth registration to match the details you have given for Patrick

greyghost

greyghost Report 27 Aug 2014 17:24

Using the same free website there is a possible marriage for Brenda in 1969 in Eastbourne.

patchem

patchem Report 27 Aug 2014 19:00

Welcome to the boards, Ann.

If that is the marriage for Brenda, then she was not adopted.
Where did you get the adoption information from?

Thanks

Ann

Ann Report 28 Aug 2014 09:09

Hi, thanks to all who have helped so far.

I did have a look at the free records and drew the same conclusions. I have also checked with my source and found that my sister was not adopted after all.

Would that potentially make her easier to find? As there may not have been any name change? If she got married in Eastbourne in 1969 she would only have been 17, but I suppose that was not too uncommon then.

How do I find out if those records are a match with my family members?

Thanks again!

Ann

Ann Report 28 Aug 2014 09:10

Also, due to the name and some suggestion from my adopted parents, it's possible that my father Patrick William Hearn was not born in UK, but in Ireland. Is there a way to check Irish birth records?

Thanks again! x

angelinab

angelinab Report 28 Aug 2014 09:51

I have just had a look at the Irish records and there isn't a birth for Patrick Hearn in 1929 that I can see.

I am very new to this so maybe somebody with more experience can either confirm or correct the information.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Aug 2014 10:16

Probably the starting point to decide if the records found for Brenda are correct is to purchase copies for £9.25 each from

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Use the references found on Freebmd or other sites.

Hopefully the MC will name her father which should tie up with the name on her BC. Even if she wasn't eligable to vote, other family members might be registered at the same address - you could get the ER checked by address at the nearest archive or library based Local Studies Centre. They may make a charge if you can't visit to do it yourself.

As you quote her dob in your opening post, do you already have a copy of her BC?

Until you discover if she was in deed not adopted but retained her birth names, it would be best to edit your opening post to remove her full dob. Just leave it as Apr 1952

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Aug 2014 10:23

angelinab - I don't 'do' Irish records, but as partition was in 1922(?) where you able to check both N Ireland and Eire records?

NB - the year of partition might be incorrect, but its sometime around then

Choccy

Choccy Report 28 Aug 2014 10:58

PM sent with possible contact details for Brenda.