Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 19 Aug 2014 17:53

Hi everyone I am very new to this, does anyone out there know how I would go about trying to trace a gentleman who was Italien that came over to Manchester around the late 1950's. Will there be any travel records in those days?
Thanks
Liz

greyghost

greyghost Report 19 Aug 2014 18:06

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1343810

ELIZABETH

ELIZABETH Report 19 Aug 2014 18:47

Have you sent a reply the page is blank?

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 19 Aug 2014 19:07

it's just that the first Elizabeth should not post the same thing (questions about the same person) twice

it would be best to add the question about travel records to the other thread (use the 'Add your reply' box at the bottom of it)

and delete this thread altogether

or people may spend time asking the same questions or giving the same information in both threads

jax

jax Report 20 Aug 2014 11:38

Why have you got two different accounts Elizabeth????

ELIZABETH

ELIZABETH Report 20 Aug 2014 12:28

I think I started one a while ago with old email address. Not very good with computers

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 20 Aug 2014 15:40

His name is Carmelo Castelli, lived in the Manchester area around the late 50,s.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 20 Aug 2014 22:08

there is no record of a marriage or a death of a Carmelo Castelli in England

Ancestry shows a handful of people named Castelli arriving in England 1950-1960 (I don't pay to see details) but no Carmelo ... and passenger lists are not available after 1960

there is also no one by that name on electoral rolls in the last decade

maybe someone with access can check earlier electoral rolls?

... but of course if he was not a British subject/citizen he would not be on an electoral roll ...

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 20 Aug 2014 22:23

there are Castelli births in Manchester in 1959 (mother's name also Italian) and in 1968 and 1969 (mother's name English) but no marriages to match the surnames

there are also births in Chorley in 1957 and 1960 ... but that couple likely married in 1939

I wonder whether Carmelo returned to Italy not long after his arrival

he just doesn't seem to have left a trace in records

unless any of the births in Manchester are his children and he and the mother were not married ... only the birth certificates would tell you the father's name

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 21 Aug 2014 12:17

Thank you for your help I have looked up a few of the births as poss chance he is the father. I have been told it was most likely he married an Italian lady in 1957 in Italy and came over with her late 50's. Is there any way he could be traced if returned to Italy.

BethanHindmarch

BethanHindmarch Report 25 Aug 2014 16:56

Hello Elizabeth,
I've had a search on ancestry.com's immigration and travel section and I'm afraid that name turned up zero results (which is unusual, they usually show names that are similar also in case of spelling mistakes etc)
They have passenger lists up to 1960 if you'd like a look: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1518
If you have trouble with computers, it might be worth popping to your local library; mine has a genealogy club where you can use their computers to research and they're on hand to help and advise you. I found the other members very helpful too :)

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 26 Aug 2014 16:33

Thank you all so much.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 26 Aug 2014 17:33

Think he was born around 1937 thanks

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 28 Aug 2014 11:59

(edited)

in any event I would also not discount the later births I mentioned (as well as the 1959 birth) as being possibly relevant

Detail

Detail Report 28 Aug 2014 13:28

i have removed all i have posted !!!!!

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 28 Aug 2014 15:41

it is Elizabeth who needs to edit her last post :-)

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 28 Aug 2014 15:49

Done