Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for half sister

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carly

Carly Report 28 Jul 2014 14:19

Hi

I am looking for my half sister, who my Mum put up for adoption at birth.. Kerrie Louise Dodd born 17 or 18th October 1974 in Carlisle.
I've tried to get in touch with Carlise adoption services for a copy or just help with the adoption record but had no reply at all as she'll not be called Kerrie anymore and obviously don't know her surname.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Jul 2014 15:26

Welcome to the boards Carly

If you haven't already, add your names to the Adoption Contact Register - if she is also looking for birth family, she may have done the same

https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register

Social Services won't give you access to her file or give you any information from it.. They might be willing to add a letter from you to her file, or to act as intermediaries if she has already asked to view it.
Send them another letter, perhaps by 'Signed For' delivery, asking for an acknowledgement at the very least!

Have you checked with your mother if SS arranged the adoption, or whether it went through a society eg Barnardo’s.

You have already added her name to your tree which is a good thing as that means anyone related will be able to find you. Every so often you will need to “search all members’ trees” to see if her and your mother’s names have been added to anyone else’s. Don’t rely on ‘hot matches’ to highlight any additional entries.

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 28 Jul 2014 15:28

http://www.ukbirth-adoptionregister.com/index.php

Carly

Carly Report 28 Jul 2014 16:07

Thanks for your replies, my Mum passed away in April so I'm relying on info that my Dad (not Kerries Dad) gathered from my Mum over the years. Will get her birth certificate and get registered on the Adoption Contact Register and quiz my Dad further about SS or society that will have arranged the adoption.
All new to this so your help is appreciated :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Jul 2014 16:21

Unless you know her exact date of birth, you can't order a certificate issued in the last 50 years!!! Its intendended to reduce the possibility of identity fraud.

If you wanted to apply on line seeing what happens if you use one then the other dates of birth, then £9.25 from http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
You'll need the details from the gro index

KERRIE LOUISE
Last Name DODD
Birth Year 1974
Mother's Maiden Name DODD
Year 1974
Country England
County Cumberland
Event Quarter 4 - ie Oct -Nov- Dec
District CARLISLE
Volume 1
Page 0075S

Alternatively, contact Carlisle Reg office and order through them - the cert may be more expensive, but a person might be more co-operative than a computer programme. They will have their own reference numbers, not those as quoted above.

http://www.cumbria.gov.uk/registrationservice/local_register_offices/carlisle.asp

Carly

Carly Report 28 Jul 2014 16:54

My Dad actually has her birth certificate its just a case of digging it out lol so I'll do that asap

angelinab

angelinab Report 28 Jul 2014 17:24

I have recently obtained birth certificates from within the last 50 years with no known date of birth. They have to be ordered from the gro via telephone, but they are very helpful and are happy to take another identifying feature - eg mothers name - if you don't have the exact dob.

Carly

Carly Report 4 Aug 2014 15:58

I found the birth certificate actual d.o.b was the 13th Oct... anyway I have registered with the adoption contact register and waiting to see if anything comes of that (fingers crossed) can take up to 4 weeks.
Thanks your help everyone :-)