Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adopted Brother

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

moira69

moira69 Report 10 May 2014 15:29

My name is Moira & I am searching for my adopted brother. I don't have a name but he was born in the early 1960's at the Queen Victoria Hospital (now closed down) in Adelaide, South Australia. His mother's name was Marilyn Stephen's at the time (nee Errey) & she was from Adelaide, South Australia. As my mother was a single mother at the time it was decided by her parent's & the hospital social workers that it would be best for the baby to be adopted to parents that could care for him. My mother was told by the social worker that he had severe club foot & had been adopted by a doctor. Something I'm not sure was true. My mother has never forgotten him & thought of him often. I am seeking any information possible. I'd like to know is he still alive? Is he looking for my mother? Etc. He has another brother & many relatives who often think of him too.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 May 2014 15:39

I don't know what it is like in Australia, but here in England there is an "Adoption Contact Register" that you can put your name on. Then if the adopted person decides to look for their birth family they can check with this to see if anyone is looking for them.

Maybe there is something similar in Australia?

Kath. x

moira69

moira69 Report 10 May 2014 16:12

Thanks Kath. Will look into it. Moira :)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 May 2014 18:33

Presumably, your mother will know what name she gave the child when she registered his birth. And his DOB
Try looking for the details in 'search all trees'

Kay????

Kay???? Report 10 May 2014 20:24

http://www.families.sa.gov.au/pages/adoption/ApplyForAdoptionInfo

or write to.
Customer Service Centre.
91 Grenfell Road.
Adelaide
SA.5000.

for request forms.

Edit====This is the oficial SA gov Adelaide office.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 May 2014 20:26

A past Australian GR member had a husband who was adopted - he knew he had siblings. From memory he was able to contact the equivalent of social services and/or an intermediary tracing agency and was eventually able to make contact with the descendants of one of them.

There seem to be several promising links for an internet search with the key words
"adoption contact register Australia"

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 10 May 2014 22:02

hello Moira, by searching trees at this site we see your mum in your tree with birthdate of 1938

her name is fairly unusual ... someone else has the same name in their tree with birthdate 1944

I wonder whether possibly that 1944 is a guess by the tree owner ? ... which could be the case for an adopted child who didn't know the exact details of their parents for example

that tree owner shows themself in their tree as born in the early 1960s

do you know that person, and also the two other people with your mum's name in their trees (one shown as 1938, the other with no birthdate) ?