Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

David Benjamin

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Val55

Val55 Report 3 Feb 2014 00:27

Hi

I am looking for my adopted brother. He was born as David Benjamin, Feb 1953 in London. He was adopted out to a Lydia Ivy Louise Bourne in 1956 and would have grown up in the Hampstead area. I have put my name on the GRO contact register but he is not currently on it. However, I am aware he tried to make contact with his birth family, probably in the late 90s. Unfortunately, it wasn't mentioned to me until later, when it was too late to find out any information.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Valerie

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 3 Feb 2014 01:02

Maybe Lydia's death cert would give some clue, David could be informant, her death may also have prompted him to try and make contact in late 90s.....

England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2007
Name: Lydia Ivy L Bourne
Birth Date: 1 Jan 1907
Date of Registration: Jan 1999
Age at Death: 92
Registration District: Camden
Inferred County: London
Register Number: D48A
District and Subdistrict: 2501D
Entry Number: 7

Misty x

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 3 Feb 2014 02:20

£9.25 on-line
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

HAVE TO AGREE ODDS ARE DAVID IS THE INFORMANT
not much via their family tree

ON ANCESTRY

Electoral Registers, 1832-1965

Ivy Lydia Louise Ridley 1931
Ivy Lydia Louise Bourne 1933

Edgar Ambrose Bourne 1933

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 3 Feb 2014 02:24

Marriages Sep 1932
Bourne Edgar A Ridley Hampstead 1a 1741
Ridley Ivy L L Bourne Hampstead 1a 1741

Births Mar 1908
Ridley Ivy Lydia L Marylebone 1a 487

??

Births Mar 1903
Bourne Edgar Ambrose W. Ashford 2a 899

Name: BOURNE, Edgar A
Registration district: Ashford
County: Kent
Year of registration: 1958
Quarter of registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Age at death:56
Volume no: 5B
Page no: 30

GR family tree
Edgar (Jack) Bourne 1903 Kent England ...

Marriages Dec 1901
RIDLEY Thomas E J C Marylebone 1a 1195
STYLES Edith Carrie Marylebone 1a 1195

Births Mar 1913
Ridley Alfred J Styles Marylebone 1a 852

SADLY POSSIBLE
Deaths Dec 1914
Ridley Alfred J 1 Fulham 1a 293

Births Dec 1906
Ridley Edith Grace Marylebone 1a 471

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 3 Feb 2014 02:54

1911 CENSUS

RIDLEY, Thomas Head Married9 years M 35 1876 Odd Jobs London St Marylebone
RIDLEY, Edith Wife Married9 years F 35 1876 Out Door Domestic London Bow
RIDLEY, Grace Daughter F 4 1907 London St Marylebone
RIDLEY, Ivy Daughter F 3 1908 London St Marylebone
RIDLEY, Albert Son M 0 (4 MONTHS) 1911 London St Pancras
WOOD, Ruth Niece F 13 1898 London St Giles
RIDLEY, Louisa Mother Widow F 64 1847 Nursing Monthly London City

Births Dec 1876
RIDLEY Thomas Edward J C Marylebone 1a 572

Val55

Val55 Report 3 Feb 2014 04:22

Thank you so much everyone. I have been looking at Lydia and her family. But I noticed that after 1964 she was no longer in the British directory and the electoral register only went up to 1965. I did see that Lydia died in 1999 but I didn't at all think about purchasing her death certificate so I am very grateful for the suggestion as I will definitely do that.

I came to a dead end when I couldn't find any marriages or children for Grace Ridley (Lydia's sister). It was of my assumption as well that Lydia and Edgar may have separated or divorced when she adopted David as they weren't living at the same address in the 60s. Therefore, I don't know if he has any close relatives alive.

Another question. I found on deceasedonline the cemetery she was buried in. Is it possible to get information from the council or cemetery about who owns the grave or would that be classified?

Thanks again.

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 3 Feb 2014 04:43

Edgar Bourne sadly died in 1958 see above

https://www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch

Why not do it on-line via the above website you mentioned
this will be quicker that waiting for the £9.25 death cetificate.

Transcribed register
£2.00
About ...
Grave details and 1 other burial
£1.50

About Register Details

The Register Details option shows the detail of a burial or cremation where the detail has been fully transcribed or only exists in digital format.

In addition to the information already shown on the summary page (deceased name, burial date and cemetery), you can expect to see some or all of the following information, depending on how old the record is, how much data has been captured and what masking criteria an individual local authority has requested for their records. Deceased Online applies a quality check to all records to ensure that only those with sufficient detail are available for purchase.

Deceased's place of death ¹
Deceased's address ¹
Age at death and/or Date of birth
Funeral Director's name
Death registration Entry Date, Entry Number and Registration District ¹ ²
Grave reference ³
Disposal location ²
Denomination
Occupation
Indiation whether this is a disposal of cremated remains ³
Indication whether this is a disposal of a body part
Applicant's name ×
Applicant's address ×

× Usually masked for records under 15 years of age, or 75 years in Scotland
¹ Usually masked for records unser 15 years of age, depending on data provider's requirements.
² Usually applicable to cremations only
³ Usually applicable to burials only

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 3 Feb 2014 04:47

Looks like the person who registered her death sadly guessed her date of birth

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 3 Feb 2014 05:00

Edgar is on a few GR Family Trees
Looks to be known as JACK
There is a J mentioned on the old electoral rolls

JUST FOR INFO

1911 CENSUS
BOURNE, Arthur Head Married M 47 1864 Shepherd On A Farm Midley Kent
BOURNE, Jane Wife Married23 years F 45 1866 Appledore Kent
BOURNE, Nathan Son Single M 21 1890 Labourer On Farm Lyminge Kent
BOURNE, Kathleen Daughter Single F 19 1892 Lyminge Kent
BOURNE, Henry Son Single M 18 1893 Labourer Bricklayers On Estate Lyminge Kent
BOURNE, Andrew Son M 14 1897 Newsboy Little Chart Kent
BOURNE, Fredrick Son M 12 1899 School Little Chart Kent
BOURNE, Edgar Son M 8 1903 Little Chart Kent
BOURNE, Emmie Daughter F 5 1906 Little Chart Kent

Val55

Val55 Report 3 Feb 2014 11:10

I didn't see that Edgar had passed away. I thought they had split so I hadn't looked at his side of the family so thanks Fairthorn for all the information. It will be very useful. You have been so amazing. I really appreciate the help.

The info given on deceasedonline for Lydia gave the cemetery and grave reference but not much else of significance. However, my daughter thought she would pass it onto her friend who will visit the grave to see its inscription. And I have bought the death certificate as well anyway.

I looked up the family trees on this site as you mentioned there were a few with Edgar in them. Just as I am new to this, is it appropriate to ask the owners or make contact with them about David?

Val55

Val55 Report 10 Feb 2014 01:23

I am Val's daughter Bec (Mum and I have been doing the search hand in hand). I hope you don't mind me posting on behalf of my mum. I just wanted to let you guys know that we got in contact with David Bourne this morning. He goes by the name Reuben now. I phoned him on Saturday (mum was too nervous) but he wasn't home, so still not knowing if it was him, I left a message and he called back this morning (Perth, Aus time). He was so delighted, amazed and so grateful. Mum was quite emotional too. I am so happy for my mum and for Reuben who now knows that he has family that care about him very much.

Thanks Fairthorn and Mistycat for your helpful posts and Sappho for the messages which led us to phoning a number on the off chance he still lived in Hampstead. We are so lucky he didn't move to a different borough or city.

How you all assist others find lost relatives is truly amazing and both mum and I will never forget how you helped us. We will stay on here and try to return the favour to others.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. :-)

Val55

Val55 Report 10 Feb 2014 08:51

My daughter has been amazing with the help of all the people in this community in the success of helping myself locate my half brother. Rebecca has worked tirelessly, leaving no stone unturned. I'm grateful to all the people who have given us advice which assisted us in finding David. He has gone from having no family one day to having a large family the next day. I know the road to getting to know each other is going to be emotional but it will be worth it. So I thank each one of you for taking the time to give us advice and information on how to find a family member. I wish you all the best and love. Val

Ru

Ru Report 10 Feb 2014 09:44

Hi Val and Bec,

Congratulations - wonderful news.

All very happy for you. Welldone

Best wishes to you and your family,

Sappho

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 10 Feb 2014 11:53

Hello Val and Bec

What lovely news, so very pleased for you all....Enjoy every moment.

Very Best Wishes

Misty x