Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

missing half sister

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 19 Oct 2013 21:50

I am trying to trace ,someone who could be my half sister ,she would have been born in Queenbeyan nsw Australia about 1960,her mothers name was Marjorie with the possible surname of Wright(not confirmed),I believe Marjorie was an Hairdresser,who came to Australia in the late 1950s,her and my father had known each other previously in Leeds Yorkshire.
Susan Cannella nee Midgley

Aussietrish

Aussietrish Report 20 Oct 2013 08:20

hi Susan,
was you half sister adopted out. If so there are official avenues you can use to help find her.
Marjorie Wright is a very common name. There are 5 without a middle names and 15+ with second names in NSW 1958.
5 in NSW with no middle name so you will have to find more information in order to eliminate some.... do you know an approx date of birth for Marjorie

patchem

patchem Report 20 Oct 2013 08:57

If your father was born about 1920, is that an approximate year of birth for Marjorie, or a lot later?

Thank-you

Susan

Susan Report 20 Oct 2013 10:47

Yes I have checked out the electral rolls and I crossed matched with passenger lists
and thats how I got the surname Wright as they left England within the time frame I had allowed she was Marjorie Grace.I don't think the child was adopted out I think it might have been brought up with Marjorie and her husband,my father just drifted in and out of my live until the late 70s and then he settled down. Marjorie Grace Wright was born in 1918

Aussietrish

Aussietrish Report 26 Oct 2013 16:37

as you have foundan immigration record. Did she come to Australia with anyone.
Using the online electrol rolls there is a woman of that name living at the same address as a Percy John Wright in 1963. The only other time this name appears she is living alone ( no other adults).
If you think Percy is her hubbie then there is a private tree on Ancestry that would be worth following up on.

jax

jax Report 26 Oct 2013 17:12

Marjorie and Percy are together here

Australia, Electoral Rolls, 1903-1980
about Majorie Grace Wright
Name:
Majorie Grace Wright
Electoral Year:
State:
New South Wales
District:
Eden Monaro
Subdistrict:
Queanbeyan

jax

jax Report 26 Oct 2013 20:46

Person transcript detailsView the original image
Name: Marjorie G WRIGHT
Date of departure: 18 December 1957
Port of departure: London
Passenger destination port: Sydney, Australia
Passenger destination: Sydney, Australia
Date of Birth: 22 January 1918
Marital status: Married
Sex: Female
Passenger recorded on: Page 27 of 28

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following people with the same last name travelled on this voyage:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Joy C WRIGHT | Page 27 of 28 View transcript
Percy J WRIGHT | Page 27 of 28 View transcript
Richard L WRIGHT | Page 27 of 28 View transcript

Report transcript error Ship: IBERIA
Official Number:
Master's name: W ?
Steamship Line:
Where bound: Sydney, Australia
Square feet:
Registered tonnage:
Passengers on voyage:

Marriages Mar 1938 (>99%)

Lester Marjorie G Wright Colchester 4a 1205
Wright Percy J Lester Colchester 4a 1205

Not seeing a birth for her though

They married in Essex and were living in Essex before they went to Australia....when was she in Yorkshire?