Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Josephine Keelan, Eastcote Arms, Middlesex, 1948

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 7 Oct 2013 16:48

Hi there. Thanks for reading. I am looking for some information about my blood Grandmother.

She gave up my father for adoption in 1948. My father was born on 3rd October of that year. His original birth certificate describes his place of birth as Green Hedges, Broad Hill. The birth was registered in Cuckfield on 22nd October. His original name was Francis John. His birth mother was a Domestic Servant of the Eastcote Arms, Eastcote Lane, South Harrow, Middlesex.

I appreciate this is a real shot in the dark. To complicate matters I believe she may be Irish and thus I have not been able to locate her on birth records etc. The father may have had the surname of Smith which is common. She may have been young when she had my dad, and with it not being as commonplace as it is in the modern world, may have had to give him up, though not necessarily. This assumption could mean she could have been born around 1932, which if still alive, could make her around the 80 mark.

My father tried years ago to go through other means such as the NCH Post Adoption Service but seemed to get so far and hit a brick wall. If anyone has any information about them or any advice on how I can proceed I would sincerely appreciate you letting me know.

Many thanks.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Oct 2013 17:14

Definitely an Irish name.............

Try looking at:-

https://familysearch.org/

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Oct 2013 17:15

Can we assume that you haven't found a marriage for her after the child was born?

You also need to consider that any current family of this lady may be totally unaware of this child's birth

John

John Report 7 Oct 2013 17:21

Hi Reggie,

Many thanks for the advice. I am indeed aware of the situation regarding current family.

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 7 Oct 2013 18:51

FMP

Keelan Josephine D — — 1955 Marriages & divorces Limerick, Ireland

I do not have World subscription

patchem

patchem Report 7 Oct 2013 19:08

Josephine D Keelan
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1955 Registration District: Limerick Volume: 5 Page Number: 284 FHL Film Number: 0257852

Norah P Drew
Bridget P Treacy
Thomas N Cleary
Mary C Byrne
Josephine D Keelan
John J Brennan
Thomas Williams
Francis M Quane

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 7 Oct 2013 19:23

SCOTLAND

http://www.mytrees.com/newanc/Scotland/Born-1926/Ke/Keelan-family/Josephine-Keelan-mc002287-2.html

Wonder when she married

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 7 Oct 2013 19:33

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:QGlyVaL_9U8J:www.ancestryaid.co.uk/boards/topic/3132-hope-someone-can-help/+&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:26 PM

My Mum and Dad were Josephine Keelan and Thomas McManus.
UNQUOTE

MAUREEN IS ON GR FT

WILL DELETE POSTS AFTER ELIMINATED <<<<<<<<<<<

John

John Report 7 Oct 2013 22:36

Many thanks for all your help it is sincerely appreciated. As Reggie mentioned earlier, any family of Josephine may be completely unaware of the existence of my father. What advice would you give in contacting someone who you think could possibly be a relation to her? I worry that, as much I want to find out about my Grandmother, I do not want to upset anyone. A very difficult scenario.

patchem

patchem Report 8 Oct 2013 07:12

There is some guidance given by genes at the top of the boards, if you follow through the links.

If you read the other threads you will see this contact problem being discussed on some of them.

You do, indeed, risk upsetting many people, particularly if you cannot prove the connection and it is only a suspicion.

John

John Report 8 Oct 2013 09:17

Hi Patchem,

Thanks for that. I will have a detailed look through them.

John

John Report 12 Oct 2013 17:10

Hi all,

Since posting I have uncovered some further information in documentation from my father's files.

Josephine was 17 when she had my father and resided in Lancaster Gate, London.

The father is thought to be a Jack Smith.

It would also appear that Green Hedges Maternity Home is relevant somewhere.

Once again, many thanks for reading and if you have any info or help I would sincerely appreciate it.

Jane

Jane Report 19 Jul 2015 16:45

Hi John, I have sent you a reply via your email that's with GenesReunited. So that I believe goes to you privately. My connection is that I to was born at Broadhill and adopted in 1949. I have researched Broadhill - and Green Hedges for over four years and have connections with other Broadhill Babes! Hoping to hear from you.

Jane