Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

James Charles Farringdon

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Beverley

Beverley Report 28 Sep 2013 17:14

Looking for relatives of James Charles Farringdon b. 1888
Married Lilian May Ward 1908 and after her death married
Emily Woolley c.1914 in Brimingham.
Any help much appreciated.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Sep 2013 17:32

Try FreeBMD for birth for the couple and later deaths

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Sep 2013 17:35

London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921 about James Charles Farringdon
Name: James Charles Farringdon
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1888
Spouse Name: Lilian May Ward
Spouse Age: 18
Record Type: Marriage
Event Date: 2 Aug 1908
Parish: Whitechapel St Mary
Borough: Tower Hamlets
Father Name: James William Farringdon
Spouse Father Name: Frank Ward
Register Type: Parish Register

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Sep 2013 17:37

Welcome to the boards Beverely.

Have your searched all member's trees for listings of the names you have?

How far down have you traced the descendents? Use the census to 1911, then BMD either on freeBMD as suggested, or any subscription site.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Sep 2013 17:38

Name: Lilian May Farringdon
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1890
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1909
Age at Death: 19
Registration District: Whitechapel
Inferred County: London
Volume: 1c
Page: 241

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Sep 2013 17:43

England & Wales, FreeBMD Marriage Index, 1837-1915 about Emily Woolley
Name: Emily Woolley
Spouse Surname: Farringdon
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1915
Registration District: Aston
Inferred County: Warwickshire
Volume Number: 6d
Page Number: 759
Records on Page:
Name
Mabel Burns
James C Farringdon

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Sep 2013 17:46

Name: James C Farringdon
Birth Date: abt 1888
Date of Registration: Jun 1947
Age at Death: 59
Registration District: Birmingham
Inferred County: Warwickshire
Volume: 9c
Page: 549

Beverley

Beverley Report 14 Nov 2013 11:00

Thank you so much for your replies. I posted this for my Mum who has run into a dead end on her family tree. She's researching her side I'm doing my Dad's. I'll pass this on and hopefully it'll help. Are you related at all to Farringdon, Woolley, or Ward?
Mum would love to know. She is also looking for German connections, have you had and success? Are there any websites you have found that can help with this specifically? Thanks again for the information. :-D

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Nov 2013 11:26

The people who help on here are not connected to you - they just like to help

For German records, try.................

https://familysearch.org/

OR........google

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Nov 2013 11:27

Use freebmd to look for info.............

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

In which direction does your mother wish to go?

You've posted this on the living relatives board, so can we assume she doesn't want any ancestors traced...............

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Nov 2013 11:36

Hi Beverley - No, no one who has posted on your thread is related. They/we have just used our access to other sites and experience to try and find records on your behalf.

http://www.cyndislist.com/categories/ is a good portal for overseas births. German Archives are quite good at look up census information and other records for you as long as you email in German (use an on line translator) and explain how you are related. However, you do need to know where they lived as the records are held by the area not necessarily centrally.

There are various Anglo/German FH organisations you can join to get experienced advice.

https://familysearch.org/ which is free to use holds some German records, as does Ancestry which is a subscription site.

If she is looking for Ancestors, then post on her behalf on 'Find Ancestors' so that members can see what they can find. Give the names, dob and all other information which could be relevant.

If they married in the UK after 1837 in England and Wales, 1855 in Scotland, then the MC will give the name of the fathers if known which can help your mother take her research back a further generation.
The BC of children born in the UK will give the mother's maiden name - especially helpful if the parents came to the UK as a married couple.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Nov 2013 11:38

Re German research .no I have the family on the 1891 in London but the birth cert of another son born in Bradford Yorkshire in 1889

They state on the census that they have the right to be here!! inferring naturalization but no records found for that at Kew.

On the 1891 and 1901 census where I have found them they dont state where in Germany they were born ,. Some time ago I met up another genes member who came from the same area I lived in in SE London was very much into German ancestry and we exchanged all the info I had at that time. He would go to Germany looking for his own ancestry and could speak German too. he had contacts over there and tried to find more info on my family , came up blank.

My grandfather was born circa 1871 in Germany but died in 1911 when dad was 3plus years old so dad never had any memory of him . His mum .was an austere lady who thought children should be seen and not heard ,never spoke about her first hubby and we didn't dare ask .

So I am at the brick wall on that side of the family

I didnt find the Anglo German History society any help ,They wanted you to join up and attend meetings in London which isn't suitable for me .

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Nov 2013 11:51

What does the 1911 census say - sometimes it's 'British by parentage'

Beverley

Beverley Report 14 Nov 2013 11:54

Thank you so much everyone I'll pass tbe information on.
I have a German friend and although not into family research
had heard that it was notoriously difficult, especially from outside
Germany.
Thanks again to all for the help, much appreciated.

Beverley

Beverley Report 14 Nov 2013 16:43

Having spoken to Mum, she hoped the posting might help find living relatives of James Farringdon. A long shot, but thought maybe a living relative might be researching also.