Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching for siblings - Barton

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynda (now Liz)

Lynda (now Liz) Report 17 Jul 2013 10:34

I'm trying to trace my brother John William Barton born in St Helier, Carshalton in August 1948. Also Derek M Barton born in Surrey in 1947 and also Maria Barton born in Stepney in 1946. Mother - Irene Barton (nee Moody), Father Albert Barton. I have found birth records for each of them but not sure where to go from here.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Jul 2013 10:58

When and where did you last have contact with them...or are they half siblings?

Do you share both parents, or were you all taken into care/adopted?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Jul 2013 11:12

You posted about John back in 2008 - this was when all replies had to be by PM.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1027040

Where you given any leads at that time, and if so what were they - so that the search isn't duplicated.

For what it's worth, Albert was Albert W Barton

Lynda (now Liz)

Lynda (now Liz) Report 17 Jul 2013 11:37

Yes, I did post back in 2008 but I'm afraid the birth of grandchildren and life at work meant I didn't have much time to follow anything up so I'm starting again now. My mother, Irene Barton, put me up for adoption when I was 6 months as she and my father had separated and she could no longer afford to look after me. From info on my file, I believe my 6 year old brother, John, remained with her. I found out in 2008 that I had a half-sister and half-brother when my half-sister made contact...my mother had later married again. Sadly, she walked out on her husband and new family when the children were very young and they never saw or heard from her again. What is very weird is that my file only makes reference to one brother, yet my half-sister's file (she sadly went into care with her brother when my mother left them) gives details of other siblings, and it appears I had another older brother Derek (I have no idea why there was no mention of this in my file, and a youngerv sister called Maria. I believe there was also another sister who would have been slightly older than me, Maureen, who possibly died when a baby.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Jul 2013 11:45

If you haven't already, add your name to the Adoption Contact Register.

https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register

Have you used the 'Search all trees' facility for your relatives birth names? How about facebook and other social media sites. Sometimes people create accounts in their birth names in the hope that relatives are looking for them.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Jul 2013 12:58

freebmd shows 6 Barton/Moody birth registrations between 1947 and 1962

................... none for a Maureen

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/