Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Janet Kirkwood Denniston (McDonald)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Victoria

Victoria Report 14 May 2013 09:03

Hi there,

I wonder if you can possibly help me. I am looking for information relating to a Janet Kirkwood Denniston (McDonald) born in 1943 in Edinburgh to William Denniston (born in 1920 in Dundee) and Ann McDonald.

I have used a lot of sites to try and find out more information, but seem to come up with a dead end, which makes me believe that Janet may have changed her surname.

If anyone is able to shed any light on this subject that would be brilliant. William Denniston was my Grandfather, and Janet would have been his daughter.

Many thanks.

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 14 May 2013 10:38

Victoria,

The most common reason that a woman's name changes is when she marries. Have you looked for a possible marriage for her?

For Scottish marriages look at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

For marriages in England and Wales use any of the popular genealogical websites, most of whom will have the marriage records from c1959 to 2005.

Good luck.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 May 2013 12:15

She married in 1961 the record is on Scotlands People hubby James Cordiner

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 May 2013 12:32

seems mum was Ann Mcdonald Martin

you can get their marriage cert from Scotlands People

1943 DENNISTON WILLIAM O MARTIN ANN MCDONALD GEORGE SQUARE EDINBURGH CITY/MIDLOTHIAN 685/05 0037 No

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 May 2013 12:40

Ann remarried

1963 MCGREGOR GEORGE ANDERSON DENNISTON ANN MCD HAYMARKET EDINBURGH CITY/MIDLOTHIAN 685/01 0247 No Image

death 1998 MCGREGOR ANN MCDONALD other surnames DENNISTON &MARTIN F age75 EDINBURGH EDINBURGH CITY/LOTHIAN REGION 733/00 0494 No I

only posted cos she has passed away

Would suggest getting some certs all from Scotlands People

Victoria

Victoria Report 14 May 2013 22:33

Hi everybody,

Wow! I'm so pleased, lots more information than I was expecting :-D

Jonesey - thanks for your insight, it was difficult as I have been searching for her under Denniston and McDonald

Shirley - thank you so much for that information. We ordered a copy of her birth record, and it said on there "Martin" but we believed the way it was written it was coming up as St Martins was where she was from... but you are correct! Her Mothers name was not McDonald, it was Martin! This has been such a big help :-D