Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DOROTHY SMITH b1923 & FRANK SMITH b1926 - adopted

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anne

Anne Report 11 May 2013 13:12

Hi, I am looking for any information on DOROTHY & FRANK SMITH born to Samuel Henry Smith & Emily [nee Banks] - due to unfortunate circumstances, Dorothy & Frank were adopted by an aunt & uncle in 1928 - we are uncertain which side of the family adopted them, but know that the adoptive parents could not have children of their own & she gave up employment to become a full time mother - Emily's brother [my Granddad] paid maintenance to the aunt & uncle to help with the childrens upbringing - Dorothy went into hairdressing & worked for a time on Ashton Old Road, Openshaw, Manchester & Frank went into the optical trade along with my Granddad - as far as the family know, Dorothy & Frank kept their own surname - any information would be greatly appreciated - Dorothy & Frank are my Mum's cousins & we have been searching for information for years, without success. Many thanks for taking the time to read this post. Anna.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 May 2013 13:19

is this him

Name: Frank Smith
Mother's Maiden Surname: Banks
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1926
Registration district: Boston
Inferred County: Leicestershire
Volume Number: 7a
Page Number: 643

or this one if they lived in Manchester

Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1924
Registration district: Chorlton
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume Number: 8c
Page Number: 1375

Do you know his actual birth date??

This death fits the qrt of his birth reg

Birth Date: 12 Aug 1924
Date of Registration: Apr 1990
Age at Death: 65
Registration district: Stockport
Inferred County: Cheshire, Lancashire
Volume: 39
Page: 1093
--------------------------

??

Name: Dorothy Smith
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1927
Registration district: Manchester S.
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume Number: 8d
Page Number: 343

patchem

patchem Report 11 May 2013 16:57

If you get the birth certificates for exact dates of birth, we can then search for deaths (but we hope that Dorothy is still alive).

Anne

Anne Report 20 May 2013 09:33

Thanks, Patchem. They were definitely both born in Manchester, so looks like you have the correct birth (& possibly Frank's death) references-I have sent for certification & will let you know when it arrives. Regards, Anna.

patchem

patchem Report 28 May 2013 07:14

Anna,
Just to point out that it was Shirley who found the birth references, and possible death.
Just return to this thread when you have the certificates - if you have applied for the death certificate the informant could be a wife or child, which will give you further leads.
Pat

Anne

Anne Report 14 Jun 2013 21:38

Thanks Shirley & Pat.
Your help is much appreciated.
I received the death certificate for Frank & this has given me a lead.
I am struggling though to locate a marriage for Dorothy!
Regards,
Anna.