Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

birth certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Connie

Connie Report 13 Oct 2012 18:57

hi,can anyone help me.tracing my family as led me to discover that my mum's maiden name is false. on my birth certificate her maiden name is vidler when she was in fact elphick??is this illegal :-S

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 Oct 2012 19:11

You can call yourself anything you like as long as it is not for fraudulent reasons so it wouldn't be illegal for her to use another name. It could be that she took on a step-father's name as a child and carried on using that name.

Are you certain that her name was not what she said it was?

Kath. x

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 13 Oct 2012 20:31

Looks like she was born an Elphick but her mother married a Vidler later.

Rose

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 13 Oct 2012 21:10

My maternal grandmother gave her maiden name as Tysall on her marriage cert. She was in fact Wassall but her mother married a Tysall a few months after her birth. I have no idea how long she used, or if she had ever called herself Wassall.

As Kath says, so long as it's not for fraudulent purposes, anyone can call themselves what they want.