Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

EDWARDS FAMILY HISTORY IN BRECON

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Edward

Edward Report 15 Sep 2012 18:30

I have recently been researching my family history and find that my paternal grandfather, Noel Edwards, born 1879 in Brecon, was shown in the 1881 census as living at “The Cock and Horse Inn, 48 The Watton, Brecon”. Noel and his twin sister, Mabel, lived there with their widowed mother, Elizabeth (born 1848) and their brothers, Sidney, born 1874, David, born 1875, and sister, Margaret Elizabeth, born 1877. Their mother, Elizabeth, (my great-grandmother) was the widow of David James Edwards, an engine driver. She was the Innkeeper of the establishment.

Noel moved to Merthyr Tydfil in about 1905 and married my grandmother, Lilian Maud Porter. They had 3 children; my father, Frederick Raymond, born 1918 and his sisters, Phyllis born 1909 and Muriel born 1911. Noel died in 1918 (3 months before the birth of my father) and Lilian later moved to Newport.

The “Cock and Horse Inn” is now known as “The Gremlin”.

Any up-to-date info would be most welcome.

Edward

Edward Report 15 Sep 2012 19:47

Dear Brummiejan. The last tieme I was specific, I got told off by GR. Anyway, what I am looking for is present-day descendants of my great-grandparents. .

Lynski

Lynski Report 16 Sep 2012 00:18

Use

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

to look for marriages and births etc.

Use

"Search All Trees" under the Search button above.

If you find a possible match you can contact the tree owner to see if you have a connection.

Lynski

Lynski Report 16 Sep 2012 00:20

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1310519

You should only have one thread about a family on the boards otherwise duplication of research can happen between different helpers.

Edward

Edward Report 16 Sep 2012 00:40

Thanks Lynski; all very confusing for me I'm afraid. About to give up to be honest with you. Have unwittingly upset so many people that it's not worth it.. How do I delete one of the threads?

jax

jax Report 16 Sep 2012 00:46

On the same line as your name on the first post you will see delete

click that

Lynski

Lynski Report 16 Sep 2012 00:55

You shouldn't give up - we were all new to this once.

You can delete this thread by clicking on the Delete button at the top of the thread near your name.

I do recommend the "Search All Trees" function. I found valuable information from a contact and a rare photo of my grandmother when she was only 21. Even my mother had never seen a photo of her at that age!

I write to anyone who could possibly be a connection and I give information about who I am looking for and their marriage and/or parents and ask if we have a connection and then look forward to hearing from them. I copy and paste my message to each person who could have my ancestor in their tree.

Whenever I am given information from helpers I always copy and paste it into a word document and save it to my computer just in case.

Have you seen this?

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/contents/helpclinic

There are also helpful threads at the top of each board.

Good luck with your search.