Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Joan Cooper Wood/Norman Cooper Wood - Glossop

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jonathan

Jonathan Report 13 Sep 2012 20:19

Hi all,

I am after some help trying to trace the above two people - or any living relatives of them. Joan Cooper Wood was born in 1921 and her brother, Norman was born in 1923. Both in Glossop, Derbyshire. Their mother was Ellen Osbaldeston who I believe passed away when both were very young - possibly 1923. Norman is believed to have served in the Royal Navy - possibly the Fleet Air Arms. The last known whereabouts of Joan were Blackpool but this is unconfirmed and dates back to the late 1950's. Any help most gratefully received!

Thanks Jon

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 13 Sep 2012 20:29

Possible marriage for Joan:

Marriages Jun 1942
Pedwell Albert E Wood Glossop 7b 2826
Wood Joan C Pedwell Glossop 7b 2826

Rose

jax

jax Report 13 Sep 2012 20:29

Welcome to the boards Jonathan

??

Marriages Jun 1942 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pedwell Albert E Wood Glossop 7b 2826
Wood Joan C Pedwell Glossop 7b 2826

Have you tried looking on freebmd?Or search the trees on this site?

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 13 Sep 2012 20:31

I see some twins possibly born to this couple in Lancashire.

Rose

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 13 Sep 2012 20:32

Are you certain of their mother's name? Seems a very long time after marriage, assuming this is Ellen, as it's a very unusual name!:

Marriages Mar 1899 (>99%)
Handford John Glossop 7b 1065
Osbaldeston Ellen Glossop 7b 1065
Rosson Bertha Glossop 7b 1065
Wood William Glossop 7b 1065

Jan

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 13 Sep 2012 20:34

Looks like Albert married again.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 13 Sep 2012 20:38

Looks like you knew about the marriage and the twins.

Please list everything you know so we don't waste time telling you what you already know.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 13 Sep 2012 20:42

Have you tried 192.com for one of the daughters?

Rose

Jonathan

Jonathan Report 13 Sep 2012 20:44

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. Absolutely certain with everything on my tree - all researched and cross referenced. The twin girls are my Mum and Aunty. Joan's mother was 49 when she was born and possibly died in childbirth with her brother in 1923. The problem I have is that any relative of Joan may not be aware of my mum's family - Joan left the twins when the were 3 - some 66 years ago. That's as much as I know so far.

She was married to Albert Pedwell - he subsequently re-married and struggled to trace Joan in order to divorce her. It is believed that she was living in Blackpool when he found her in the late 1950's... Unfortunately, my relatives who had any information have mainly passed away - and so making enquiries based on accurate information is getting harder and harder!!!

Any help most greatfully received!

Jon

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 13 Sep 2012 20:50

What is Joan's exact date of birth, also Norman's?

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 13 Sep 2012 20:54

Ellen had children at 49 and 51? Seems a bit odd.

This marriage is a better fit:

Marriages Dec 1919
Osbaldeston Elizabeth Wood Barnsley 9c 527
Wood Joseph Osbaldeston Barnsley 9c 527

Rose

Jonathan

Jonathan Report 13 Sep 2012 20:57

That's my next step - I don't know and am planning on getting copies of their birth certificates from Glossop. I can only narrow both down to a three month period at this time - Joan - July - Sept 1921 and Norman - October - Dec 1923

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 13 Sep 2012 21:01

That's when the births were registered and they could have been born up to 6 weeks before the first month listed.

Did Norman marry? There is a marriage in Glossop.

Rose

Jonathan

Jonathan Report 13 Sep 2012 21:03

The info on Joan's mother is correct - I agree it seems odd - especially for the time but it is confirmed by family and records which corroborate their location in Glossop, not Barnsley.

Jonathan

Jonathan Report 13 Sep 2012 21:13

Don't know - but that marriage seems likely to be one and the same.

Jonathan

Jonathan Report 29 Sep 2012 14:25

Dear All,

Had some great success with my enquiries. It transpires that the marriage in Barnsley so Rose, you were correct - so much for asking family members!!! I've managed to trace Joan Cooper Wood to Canada. Sadly she died earlier this year and before I could make contact. But it would appear my family has a lot of family over the water! I just hope they want to get to know us.

Thank you all for your help!!!

Jonathan