Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding sister with my name

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola

Nicola Report 19 Aug 2012 01:14

I was born in 1958 and adopted shortly after. I know that my birth parents had another daughter 11 months later and gave her the same name they gave me. I would love to find my sister but have not had any luck so far. I have a copy of her birth cert but there seems to be no sign of her after that apart from a birth entry for her in 1972 saying that she was born in 1959 (which is correct) I also have a copy of our parents Marriage cert in 1966. Confused!!! If she still had the same name at 13 years old (1972 cert) where is she now?
This is the story of a close friend and has no connection to my Family Tree
Any advice would be most welcome.

KINGSMILL

KINGSMILL Report 19 Aug 2012 02:15

A few more details etc are needed to help your friend

You can always deleted this thread later

FULL BIRTH NAME & mother's maiden name
Month of birth
Does she know if her parents kept her before & after 1972
& your friend had no contact with her birth parents ?

jax

jax Report 19 Aug 2012 02:55

Are the birth parents still alive?

Maybe she married abroad...I know a few people who went off to the Maldives or Barbados to marry in the 80s

Correct me if I'm wrong but would these marriages show up on our records?

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 20 Aug 2012 13:51

Could she have been brought up or fostered by other people from just after her birth but not actually adopted until 1972.

Petef

Petef Report 20 Aug 2012 17:56

An Adoption Order can be granted at any time in a child's life.

Peter

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Aug 2012 19:09

I don't think an adoption would show in the birth register.
There is more likely to be another reason / change of circumstance to link the 2 birth entries.

Gwyn

Kay????

Kay???? Report 20 Aug 2012 19:40

Is it just the birth certificate thats dated 1972 Nicola as in when a copy was applied for.....if it wasnt bought till 1972 the actual birth date will still be put on it it wont alter regardless of the year a copy is bought.

as from your post it reads that her birth entry in the GRO indexes is in the year 1972 but the actual certificate dates her birth as 1959.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Aug 2012 20:23

If the natural parents married after the child's birth, then the birth would need to be re registered to reflect this...

Copied from online.............
According to law, a child's birth will need to be re-registered if the parents have entered into a marriage with each other since the birth. At this time, a new birth record will be created showing the child as a child of the parent's marriage, replacing the original registration and all future copy birth certificates will be issued from this new record.

This type of re-registration is made under section 14 of the Births and Deaths Registration Act 1953.

Robert

Robert Report 21 Aug 2012 01:47

Gwyn your are partly correct , the child if they wish can change the birth entry if they want to change there surname after there natural parents marry as the law assume if the parents arent married at the time of birth the child takes the mother surname. also the child can re-register a birth if there natural father is not on there birth certificate if they want there birth to show there natural fathers name. The only other times a birth can be registered if a court order it to be changed, this mainly happens in an adoption the child natural parents are removed and the new parents are added as the child is treated in law as a blood relative to the new parents , its is a new entry but the old entry will remain. the only other time a birth entry can be changed is to add a baptism

Penny

Penny Report 22 Aug 2012 07:51

Robert, I think you are only correct in part.

An unmarried couple both have to attend reg office if father wants his name on birth cert. Child usually has a double registration then- rtegistered in both names

James Green, mmn Green
James Brown Mmn Green

Child whose parents are not married cannot go back & have their birth re registered and add a father after the event, if no father named on your birth cert, thats it, you cant add one later UNLESS the parents marry in which case they can have it ammended ( I believe)OR a child is adopted by a step parent or someone else....but neither of those would show in birth registers anyway

KINGSMILL

KINGSMILL Report 22 Aug 2012 08:01

Child whose parents are not married cannot go back & have their birth re registered and add a father after the event, if no father named on your birth cert,

----------------------------------------------

Yes they can
If the father later acknowledges his child ........ my kin did this 40 years after the birth & the father was added to the original data.

No idea if there was a re-register as it was after 2005

Nicola

Nicola Report 23 Aug 2012 23:09

Thanks everyone for your help. To confirm, there is a birth on free BMD in 1959 giving the mothers surname which I know is 100% correct and I have a copy of a Certified copy of a Birth entry which gives all info of a birth cert in 1959 but is dated at bottom 1972 giving the fathers surname. Also listed on freebmd as a birth in 1972 but giving the fathers surname. Without going into more detail it seems that the parents went to great lengths to keep 2nd child after 1st was adopted.

Nicola

Nicola Report 23 Aug 2012 23:44

I also have a copy of a marriage cert for the mother and father of the sisters in 1966. The marriage was in the same town as the first childs birth and although the second child was born some miles away, the 1972 entry addresses given are in the same place as first birth and marriage. There seems to be no reason for the 2nd child to be born elsewhere other than to prevent the her been taken away like the first.

KINGSMILL

KINGSMILL Report 24 Aug 2012 01:02

So the ONLY way the 1972 certificate is different is the father's name has been added.

Have you trace the birth parents ? ( you can trace WITHOUT making contact )
this may be the answer to the sister's whereabouts.

But sadly also the sister could have been placed in care but only fostered not adopted.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 24 Aug 2012 09:16

It may have been something as simple for the registration under the fathers surname in 1972 that a copy was needed for a legal reason,and any request about that time would be issued only in the mothers maiden surname....the child may always have been known under the fathers surname,,,,,,but anything legal such as a passport application would be in the details from 1959,,,,,,,back then children were added to a parents passport and may have raised awakward questions or a single passport in their own right....?
it may have been simply it was overlooked by the parents that they didnt go back and have the birth entry ammended.......it used to be a year as often seen.....see J/62..

Have the parents been located?