Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Robert Charles Gates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 18 Aug 2012 08:43

I am trying to find any information possible on Robert Charles Gates. Parents names are William James Gates and Else Gates (Maiden name Wright)

My nan, Shirley Margaret Gates and Robert were placed in a childrens home, Robert in St Georges Home, Tunbridge Wells, and my nan in C.E Childrens Society, Tunbridge Wells.

We are trying to find Robert or any information on him, we think there mother died which is why there were put into the childrens home. We also think there dad, William went back for Robert but not my nan, Shirley. This might not be accurate as she was only 8 years old at the time and Robert 2 years younger. She hasn't seen Robert since 1942 or maybe before.

Robert we think was born in 1937, my nan born in 1935.

She is trying to find him or some information to find out what happened to him.

We have tried before but with no luck, if anybody has any information or can help at all in any way it would greatly appreciated and mean so much.

Many thanks,

Lisa

Flip

Flip Report 18 Aug 2012 09:30

Marriages Mar 1934 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

French Gladys N Wells Edmonton 3a 1382
Gates William J Wright Edmonton 3a 1382
Wells Eric French Edmonton 3a 1382
Wright Elsie Gates Edmonton 3a 1382

Do you have a copy of the marriage certificate - if we know their ages it may be possible to trace their deaths - see who registered William's.

patchem

patchem Report 18 Aug 2012 09:32

When you say that you have tried before, do you mean on genes, and, if so, could you post a link to it so that we do not duplicate any searches?
Just looked-
As you have only posted once, presumably not?
Have you looked to see if anyone else have Robert or William in their trees on here?

Added:
You can find his birth information here:
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Added;
All the Robert Gates born in 1937 on free bmd have second names to help in identification.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Aug 2012 09:53

The only Robert with MMN Wright in 1937 was Robert C.

However, he was reg'd in Barnet.........not Edmonton, where Shirley was, and there is a further Gates/Wright birth in Barnet in 1945, which may be a complete coincidence, of course.

Flip

Flip Report 18 Aug 2012 10:32

Have you tried asking social services for help in finding out what happened to him after being placed in the home? Contact details here:

http://www2.tunbridgewells.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=1571

Linda

Linda Report 18 Aug 2012 18:35

Haven't tried on here before no, still trying to get my head around using this site atm :) Robert Charles Gates was born in 1937 (pretty sure it was March).

We don't have the date of births of Elsie Gates or William James Gates as my nan was only young when they were placed into care and was given nothing. She had to request a copy of her birth certificate and that's how we have the parents names.

I have contacted the childrens home and they have records but we need to give proof and put our request in by letter and they will determine what information they can give us and it takes up to 6 months which is a long time but hopefully we will find out some information to fill some gaps, tie some loose ends and help my nan out with getting some closure and hopefully insight as to what happened to her brother.

Thanks to everybody for replying so far, its all really appreciated :)

Lx

Flip

Flip Report 18 Aug 2012 20:05

Hi Linda

You won't get exact dates of birth, but the marriage certificate will give the parents ages, occupations and father's details. It may be worth spending the £9.25 with GRO to get the details - that way we may be able to find their deaths. I've already posted the details you need.

You've said Elsie may have died when the children were young, so I'm presuming you've looked at the death in Chelsea in Q1/1938, age 31?

For what it's worth, there's no death showing up for Robert Charles Gates, born 1937 up to 2006 in England/Wales.

Good luck
Flip