Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

House In The Rock Karsborough

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Steven

Steven Report 21 Jun 2012 23:22

Hi I am looking for anyone named Hill who believes they have the ancestor Thomas Hill who built the House, I am a direct decendent.

jax

jax Report 21 Jun 2012 23:47

Have you tried the search trees Steven?

from google

http://www.knaresborough.co.uk/history/houseintherock.asp

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Jun 2012 23:52

The House in the Rock were built by a linen weaver Thomas Hill. The work began in 1770, It took 16 years to build and consisted of four rooms, in the affect of a lighthouse, one room on top of the other.

Thomas Hill, his wife and family lived in the house. The descents of Thomas Hill lived in the house until 1996 when renovating took place. It is in hope that when renovations are completed it will be open to the public to vist.

Updated Apr 4, 2011

Address: Knaresborough, North Yorkshire, England.

Steven - if you can come up with some names into the 20th Century, we might be able to help :-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Jun 2012 10:11

If you google using the correct place name, you may find helpful info

To find links on GR, put the names and birth info you are sure of into 'search trees'

Steven

Steven Report 22 Jun 2012 10:30

Sorry folks I should have been more clear
1. I know all about the House and have researched on Google etc.
2. It is the living decendents I am trying to find!

Steve

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Jun 2012 11:07

You have presumably tracked back to the Thomas Hill who started to build the house.

So now you need to research his children and bring them down to the 20th Century.

Unless it is your line, the link Jax gave gives one branch to give you a start. Asking fellow members to do it for you, is like asking us to research ALL of your Hill line - there could be 100s of decendents, and it would mean you purchasing numerous BMD certificates once you've got them forward to 1837.

Do you know Nancy Buckle who wrote the article? If not, you could try asking to be put in contact with her via the link on the page

[email protected]

However. You've got the name and place on the internet, which will show up if someone with a mutual interest does a search. Even if you let your subscription lapse, make sure that you keep your email address registered with GR up-to-date. If anyone comes across your post, they can take out a standard membership and send you a private message.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Jun 2012 11:29

Extracted from Jax’ link

Thomas Hill started building in 1770 (linen weaver)

He had a wife and 7 children

Eldest son Thomas Hill (linen weaver) married

Thomas Jnr as above had a least one child – Richard

Richard married and had at least one child who was named Thomas

Thomas m Ann and had 7 children. This Thomas died at the end of the 19th C

James, the only surviving male emigrated to Canada - eldest son in subsequent generations named Thomas

The house was inherited by Ellen Hill, the youngest daughter of Thomas and Ann

Ellen m John Henshaw.

One daughter, Nellie, was born c 1897.

A younger sister married a Mr Buckle – their daughter is/was Nancy who wrote the article.

As you are only looking for descendents named HILL, it would seem that you would have to go back to the children on Thomas Hill Jnr and his unknown wife, AND see if the eldest named son Richard had any other sons apart from Thomas. Another line is the descendents of the James who went to Canada

Sooo………..where do you fit in? What have you already found? Help us to help you, without repeating your documented research
;-)

Steven

Steven Report 22 Jun 2012 13:27

Still not making myself clear:
I have done a full tree to the builder that is why I know I am a direct decendent! Therefore I know of other deceased decendents,what I am asking for is contact from living decendents with the name Hill!
Thanks
PS yes I do know Nancy Buckle.

wisechild

wisechild Report 22 Jun 2012 14:41

Steven.
If you know that you are a direct descendant, you need to be tracking back from your parents& grandparents & looking at their siblings & children to find other direct descendants.

jax

jax Report 22 Jun 2012 14:43

I think we know what you are looking for, but as I said in my reply was

Have you searched the trees?

It is very unlikely that anyone decended will stumble accross this post in the near future....it is up to you to go looking for them

If you find anyone who has Thomas Hill in their tree they are likely to be decended from him

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Jun 2012 15:34

Well, without names we can't help you look or double check to see if the deceased had any children...and their children etc.

So you've researched from yourself BACK to the builder. But have you traced the other lines FROM the builder who are not your direct line ancestors - n x grt Uncles and male cousins umpteen times removed rather than n x Grandfathers?

Most people who post on Find Living Relatives have names they are trying to find contact details for, hence our talking at cross purposes.

Other than Jax' suggestion of searching trees for ALL the Hill names you have, there is not a lot we can do to help.

However - if the aim of this thread was to get your interest out on to the www, you have succeeded. Who knows? Another descendent may stumble across this thread in a few years time :-)

Best wishes in your venture