Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for Patricia? SMITH / LEWIS c.1940 Leics.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 27 May 2012 11:23

I am tring to find my sister whose birth (circa 1940) parents were Dorothy Rose SMITH and Ernest Reginald LEWIS.

I am led to believe she was called Patricia and was brought up by a couple who used to look after her whilst my mother was working. The story goes that this couple moved from Leicestershire/Northamptonshire to (I think) Sheffield and took her with them.

Apparently, Patricia only found out they were not her birth parents when she was getting married and had to use her real name for the ceremony. If true this confirms she was never adopted!

I was born in 1949 to the same parents although they never married.
I have tried in vain to find her birth certificate (which is why I question her first name - I do not know whether she was registered under the name of SMITH or LEWIS!) and because I have so little information, even the Salvation Army are unable to assist.

My only hope is that by some remote chance she (or another family member) sees this and makes the connection.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 27 May 2012 11:30

Who is giving you this info David? If they are aware of her marriage situation, I am surprised if they don't know anything else.
Jan

trailertrash

trailertrash Report 27 May 2012 20:48

Found your birth David, but unable to find any others with mothers maiden name Smith within a 10 year window of yours.....There is a marriage for Ernest Reginald G lewis in 1941 Leicestershire, could this be your father marrying although it is not to a Smith... There is also another Ernest Reginald Lewis marrying in Northampton but it is a bit too early and again, not to a Smith... Do you have any further information at all???

David

David Report 28 May 2012 14:18

BrummieJan: Some info was from my (now deceased) mother - the bit about the wedding in Shefield, some more recently from her sister (my elderly aunt), e.g. the name Patricia. I know my parents did not marry as he was already married and had a family in Northamptonshire.

Trailertrash (I'm sure you are not!): Yep that is his marriage in Northamptonshire. I tracked down and met my elder half-brother from that relationship for the first time about three years ago.

Unfortunately my mother was too ashamed to speak to me directly about her and as I hardly knew my father, I was not ready to ask questions then. Sadly now, I wish I had. :-(

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 28 May 2012 16:23

There is a Patricia Smith birth in Northampton 1942. MMN Smith. How might that fit in?
Jan

David

David Report 29 May 2012 13:36

thanks brummiejan for that. May be worth a punt although all these certificates at £10 a time are mounting up. I will investigate further.