Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Jeffrey Walker b. 16th October 1960, UK

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cathy3

Cathy3 Report 17 May 2012 12:59

Hi
I'm trying to trace Jeffrey Walker, born in the Durham area UK, whose mother moved away from his father when Jeffrey was young. According to family it's possible she may have emigrated to USA or Australia? His surname may have changed if his mum remarried, and that could be why it's hard to find him.
He's my half-brother, but he won't know of my existence. I didn't know about him until I traced biological family (I'm adopted).
Any leads gratefully followed up, thanks very much :-)
Cathy

Lynski

Lynski Report 19 May 2012 02:44

Have you tried Search Trees on this site?

There are other members who have a Jeffrey Walker 1960, +/- 1 year in their trees.

You could try contacting them to see if you have a connection.

Cathy3

Cathy3 Report 19 May 2012 09:22

Yes I've tried, but I know his birth date exactly, and so far no luck.Thanks for responding. :-)

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 19 May 2012 09:53

Have you widened the search by looking for other shared family members in 'search trees'? Some people are reluctant to put living people on their tree, so it is worth looking for grandparents etc. Similarly for sites like Ancestry or FMP - other people can check if you do not have a sub to these sites.
Have you tried Facebook?
Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 19 May 2012 09:56

Another question! Where did your info come from? I am asking as I can't quite pin down his birth, and I am wondering if you have the actual cert. There is one registered in the March quarter of 1970, is that him?
Jan

Cathy3

Cathy3 Report 19 May 2012 11:01

Thanks for helping Bummiejan! I've got a copy of his birth certificate though have 'filed' it somewhere very useful...but NOT with all my other info...am disappearing under a mound of papers! I cannot put my hands on it and have been turning my files upside down. So his birthday is correct (but 1960!!).
I got the info from his father (my father), aunt, aunt's cousin etc. and am in lose contact with that side of the family. It's just him I want to find as my half-sibling, am so intrigued!
I've tried Facebook - there are LOADs of Jeffrey Walkers, many with no profile photo, so don't really know how to begin on that. Do people really just email every single one??? :-0
I'm slightly puzzled by searching trees, as it seems you have to ask permission first - I've not had a response yet from various people that I've asked. Am on tenterhooks!
Thanks again!
Cathy

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 19 May 2012 11:51

To view someone's actual tree you do have to ask permission, but you can do a search of just individuals ON people's trees by clicking on the SEARCH TREES tab on the dark green bar towards the top of the page here.
If you find a likely match, you can click on the tree holder's name to hopefully share information.
Rather than just asking to view their tree, you might ask more generally about shared family.

Gwyn

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 19 May 2012 12:10

Silly me, got the decades mixed up!!
Anyway, do as suggested and look for any common relatives who match with yours on 'search trees' and contact any possibles.
Have you tried researching his mother at all? I am thinking of 2 lines of inquiry here. Firstly, if you think she re-married in the UK you might find the marriage, which may help. Secondly, it might be possible to locate any siblings she had. A lot depends on how common her name is of course, although your family might recall something which will help you.
Jan

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 19 May 2012 13:10

Their are no births listed for him on the Durham online index site but their is this

Record at Middlesbrough Register Office

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
births: M-K-006-C-0018 & Details: JEFFREY D WALKER 1960
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

from http://www.teesvalley-indexes.co.uk/search.php

other posibles are

Search births - results for JEFFREY WALKER 1955 to 1965

Result Year Forename

1962 JEFFREY L WALKER S-P-012-A-0360 Stockton-on-Tees
1959 JEFFREY R WALKER R--RED38-0-374 Guisborough

Roy

Cathy3

Cathy3 Report 19 May 2012 15:19

Thank you to everyone who has been so kind to reply :-)

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 19 May 2012 16:22

Your post above when asked if you had searched tree's was " Yes I've tried, but I know his birth date exactly, and so far no luck "

when you search tree's putting the exact birth details in will not give you a acurate search result, you need to put as suggested a search year + - a couple of years,

you may no the exact dob but some researcher/tree owners don't

you can also use his exact dob to look for a possible death upto 2005

Roy

Cathy3

Cathy3 Report 19 May 2012 17:28

Thanks Roy, that's very helpful information.
Cathy