Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Edward Jones

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bontanique

Bontanique Report 14 May 2012 22:17

Trying to find out information about my real dad who I know very little about. He was probably born in the 1940s. He worked as a chef at The Excelsior Hotel in Manchester and also helped out at Silcock's fair. He met my mum in the late 60's/early 70's. I did hear that he tried to see me when I was a kid but mum moved a lot so we couldn't be traced.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 May 2012 09:37

Try Friends reunited - it has a workplace section

Bontanique

Bontanique Report 18 May 2012 19:04

Thanks. I didn't think of that.

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 24 May 2012 04:07

my grandads name was edward Jones too but born @1800 .
Nometheless Jones are traceble also you can do things like ask old neighbours or cousins (sometimes you have to go a little way back to then trace fforward ; type tjeir names into tree searches.
i believe hotels keet listswith poss address he was heading as well as residence given !
goodluck I.ll follow this thread to see how you get on ;maybe he,s on my family treee what are his brth parents names and as many of his siblings as you remember

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 24 May 2012 04:10

my grandads name was edward Jones too but born @1800 .
Nometheless Jones are traceble also you can do things like ask old neighbours or cousins (sometimes you have to go a little way back to then trace fforward ; type tjeir names into tree searches.
i believe hotels keet listswith poss address he was heading as well as residence given !
goodluck I.ll follow this thread to see how you get on ;maybe he,s on my family treee what are his brth parents names and as many of his siblings as you remember
may the luck of the Jone,s be on you

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 May 2012 04:45

Alisoun

I really do hope that your grandad was not born in 1800! :-0

You'd all be medical miracles if that were so! :-D

I honestly do not think that hotels keep records of their employees ..... they'd be drowning in paper if they did.

and most certainly do not keep records of where staff are heading after they leave!

How do I know? I worked in hotels for several summers, and never once was I asked to leave a forwarding address. I also know that career hotel workers often would leave on the spur of the moment ........... just walk out of the place on the spur of the moment. They certainly didn't leave forwarding address! But they did leave the hotel, and their co-workers, in the lurch!

It might be worth a try, to see if the Excelsior did have records, but I wouldn't have high hopes of getting anything!

sylvia

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 May 2012 08:26

Alisoun

At the moment, the OP doesn't even know when or where her birth father was born, so, well-meaning though your advice is, it simply isn't practicable.

There is no way for the OP to ask 'old neighbours' 'cousins', etc etc, which you will realise if you read again what the original message actually says

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 24 May 2012 08:57

good luck have i pressed wrong buttons here sorry overtired
brigid

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 24 May 2012 22:06

sorry I meant 1900 of course

Bontanique

Bontanique Report 28 May 2012 21:51

I have found out that there is a connection to Warrington with my dad. I don't know if he was born there or had family there. The unfortunate thing is that the people who would have known in my family are no longer with us