Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for Mother - Edith Armstrong

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 11 May 2012 13:14

Hi all,

I hope this is the right place (assuming my mother is alive). I have tried for a really long time to find my mother Edith Armstrong (no date of birth).

All I know is in 1951 she was 21 (according to adoption papers) so DOB is around 1930.

Do not know where abouts she is from in the UK, only know she was working in Manchester in 1951 along with my father Albert Coulter from Whitehaven.

She lived in Nell Lane, Manchester in 1951; I believe she is from the Gorton area of Manchester, but this is not proven.

According to birth certificate, her occupation was a 'presser of costumes'

Any help really appreciated, thank you.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 May 2012 13:55

Have you added your details to the national adoption contact register?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 11 May 2012 14:09

Hi David/

can you work anything from any address on the cettificate?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 11 May 2012 14:25

What reason have you for the Gorton connection? There are surprisingly few Edith Armstrongs born anywhere around 1930, as you probably know. This is the only Manchester one as far as I can see. The district does cover Gorton I think:

Name: Edith Armstrong
Mother's Maiden Surname: Walker
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1930
Registration district: Manchester South
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume Number: 8d
Page Number: 265

Jan

David

David Report 24 May 2012 15:18

Having gotten the birth certificate for Edith Armstrong, then hunted the 1911 census the only trace of her i can find is her mother Sarah Jane Walker (b1903) living in Gorton.

I have added my name to the national register to see if she wanted to know me.

My adopted mother told me that my real mother came round to the house form time to time to check on things. It is thenm it started to get a little difficult for her. So the assumption i have made is that she did not want to give me up.

The address on the birth certificate does not exist anymore, as the places have been completely demolished. So I am resigned to the fact that maybe my only hope is the electoral register for 1951, (assuming she was registered at that address. But i could not find her the last time i looked, just so much information to go through.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 24 May 2012 15:52

Do you believe this birth to be correct? If so, have you tried pursuing the Armstrong side of the family?

You do not give her father's name - would this be the marriage?

Marriages Jun 1923 (>99%)
Armstrong Joseph Walker Chorlton 8c 1530
Walker Sarah J Armstrong Chorlton 8c 1530

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 24 May 2012 15:55

If you check, there are quite a few of Armstrong/Walker births in Manchester South, though not vast numbers. I am assuming some might be Edith's siblings.
However, I wonder if this is worth a look:

Name: Sarah Jane Armstrong
Birth Date: 30 Jun 1903
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1977
Age at Death: 74
Registration district: Manchester
Inferred County: Greater Manchester
Volume: 38
Page: 0744

Jan

David

David Report 8 Aug 2012 14:24

Thanks everyone for your help, I have still to continue looking, but everything that has been found so far is all I have.

Thanks to brummijan, for her thoughtful assistance.

My parents were not married, well at least not to each other :), seems dad (Albert Alexander Coulter) had a thing for younger women. My mother (bless her) was the one who fell for his charms.

Sleepy

Sleepy Report 8 Aug 2012 18:22

Hi David

I don't know if this helps but I have just googled Nell Lane and one comes up as the street as follows Nell Lane, Manchester, and this area comes up as West Didsbury Manchester. (West Didsbury definitely comes under South Manchester).

I also know Gorton area a litte bit too if this might be of any help to you.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 8 Aug 2012 18:31

David,

Contact the library nearest to Nell Lane for old electoral registers.

Rose