Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Margaret Smith b. Camberwell 1943

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jill

Jill Report 30 Apr 2012 14:28

Hi, I'm looking for a Margaret Smith who was born in Camberwell in the summer of 1943. I think she was born at Glengall Road in Peckham. Her father was Charles William Smith. Any information would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Jill

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 30 Apr 2012 14:33

A pretty tall order with such a common name! How have you come by her?
Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 30 Apr 2012 14:38

This is the only birth I can see which matches:

Name: Margaret R Smith
Mother's Maiden Surname: Edwards
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1943
Registration district: Camberwell
Inferred County: Greater London
Volume Number: 1d
Page Number: 588

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 30 Apr 2012 14:39

If the above is her, there are 2 possible marriages in Camberwell. But this assumes you have her birth details correct, and that she stayed put.
Jan

Jill

Jill Report 30 Apr 2012 15:15

She is my mum's half sister - Charles Smith is father to both of them. We don't know Margaret's mum's name, only when and where Margaret was born. Yes, pretty difficult task when you look at it, but I feel I have to try...

Jill

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 30 Apr 2012 15:23

Well, I would suggest getting that birth cert. You could also have a look at that address on the electoral register to see who was living there, but unfortunately will have to be before/after the war, as you probably know!
I can't see a marriage for a Charles W. Smith to an Edwards, at least not one which makes any sense.
Jan

Jill

Jill Report 30 Apr 2012 16:05

Yes, I think that will be the best thing to do. I do know that Charles Smith and Margaret's mother didn't marry, so there won't be any leads in that direction.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Jill

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 30 Apr 2012 16:08

Good Luck Jill.
I shall PM the 2 marriages for Margaret R. so you have them, just in case the birth turns out to be her.
Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 30 Apr 2012 16:23

One more thing, silly me. Have you checked all the family trees for a matching Margaret? Easy to do, you might as well. No matches for Camberwell, but a few for London.
Jan