Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding Family Members

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Trevor

Trevor Report 21 Apr 2012 09:34

My birth Name was Trevor McVay (born 1960), son of Margaret Rose McVay. My Grandfather was Patrick McVay and my Grandmother was Gladys McVay formerly Belford.
I was fostered at 1yr old and have as far as I know never met any of my original family.
I would be grateful for any help finding any relations working from the above details as this is all I know.
I dont know if my birth mother is still alive or if I have brothers or sisters, so if any of you are out there I would love to speak to you.
I am 52 now and hope it is never too late to find family members and ask the big all important question - Why was I given up and why has non of my family ever looked for me!

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 Apr 2012 09:38

Trevor, I assume this centres around the North-East? I have sent a PM re.l your mother's birth record and possible siblings.
I can't see a marriage for her.
Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 Apr 2012 09:41

Trevor, there are a few things you can do quite easily. Firstly, search for any names you have in 'search trees' above - this will reveal matches with other members, then you can send a message to them.

Secondly, the male names I have sent you can be searched for on 192.com. A good starting point - if these lead nowhere we can have another think!

Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 Apr 2012 10:12

Nudging this for others to have a crack at it. Possible siblings for Margaret easy to find, and have found a marriage for one sister (Winifred) but apart from that the trail seems to go a bit cold. Can't see a marriage for grandparents either.

edit - silly me! Mis-spelt:

Name: Glayds Belford
Spouse Patrick Mcvay
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1933
Registration district: South Shields
Inferred County: Durham
Volume Number: 10a
Page Number: 1727

Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 Apr 2012 10:29

Trevor, I see you have Gladys as born 1919 on your tree, but this is highly unlikely if she married 1933. If you are to search other peoples' trees you need to be a bit more sure of birth years.

There are 2 possibles unfortunately!

Births Mar 1899 (>99%)
Belford Gladys S. Shields 10a 829

Births Sep 1904 (>99%)
Belford Gladys S. Shields 10a 933

Jan

patchem

patchem Report 21 Apr 2012 11:02

I cannot see a Gladys S McVay death, this fits neither birth:
Gladys Mcvay
Birth Date: 5 Jul 1905
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1969
Age at Death: 63
Registration district: Northumberland Central
Inferred County: Northumberland
Volume: 1b
Page: 750

Patrick came from Ireland and they went back there?

Shelley

Shelley Report 4 Oct 2013 00:24

Hi Trevor ,
I don't know how much further you have got with this if anywhere I just came accross this while searching my own family tree.Whilst I don't think we are related if you have a look on freeBMD you will be able to search most births marriages and deaths in the uk upto about 1983.
there is records on there which would suggest your mum has two brothers and two sisters .Hope this helps a little.

Shell

patchem

patchem Report 4 Oct 2013 06:56

Shelley,

Trevor never returned to the boards to discuss what had been suggested.

If you click on his name you could send him a pm - perhaps he was unaware of the replies here. However brummiejan did pm him.

Or someone might have been helping him privately.

The free bmd stops about 1983, but other records now go up to about 2007 for far better coverage.

patchem

patchem Report 4 Oct 2013 07:12

These were found on a google search:

from missing you:
'I am looking for my sister Marie McVay . I was fostered at age 1yrs in 1961 and according to my sisters birth certificate she was adopted at birth in 1962. My birth mother and her sister lived in Middlesbrough during the 1960's. My mothers name is Margaret Rose McVay . I have spent approx 10 year trying to find my birth mother, since the death of my foster mother but to no avail. I have managed to find out I have a sister and cousin after 51years of not knowing if I had any birth family. I am now in contact with my cousin and found out he too had been fostered not long after birth. I would appreciate any help finding my sister from anyone who may have any information'

By someone else on same site:
' Trying to find relations or siblings of Patrick McVay born 1935 in South Shields also his sister Winifred E McVay born 1934 she married Gordon Martin in 1953. Their parents names were Patrick McVay and Gladys McVay (nee Belford) any information of help would be great. Thank You' (Michelle)

Michelle also posted on ancestry and Trevor followed onto that thread.