Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bartlett family in Canada

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maisy

Maisy Report 14 Apr 2012 19:12

I'm trying to find information on the Bartlett family. Edith Jarvis b.1869 in Exeter married (although marriage never found) Edward Henry Bartlett.
I've found Edith on a passenger list going to Canada in 1920 with some of her children. I can't make out whether she is widowed or divorced but her husband is not with her. The reason given for going to live in Canada was to reside with her son. I can faintly make out that her son Henry Bartlett had gone in 1915 to work as a farmer but wonder how all the boys on the same passenger list are all so young. It looks like the person on the bottom of the passenger list is the carer of a boys home. What could this mean? Could her son have been in a boys home and how can I find out more and what happened to them once they arrived in Canada.

Thanks for reading and any help appreciated.

Maisy

Lynne From Up North !!

Lynne From Up North !! Report 14 Apr 2012 20:47

For reference - is this the family in 1901: ?????

BARTLETT, Edward Head Married M 43 1858 Surveyor Wycombe Buckinghamshire
BARTLETT, Edith Wife Married F 32 1869 Exeter Devonshire
BARTLETT, Kate E Daughter Single F 12 1889 Fulham London
BARTLETT, George E Son Single M 10 1891 Fulham London
BARTLETT, Dorothy Daughter Single F 9 1892 Fulham London
BARTLETT, Walter Son Single M 7 1894 Putney Surrey
BARTLETT, Ruth E Daughter Single F 6 1895 Kingston Surrey
BARTLETT, Henry C Son Single M 3 1898 Kingston Surrey

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Piece:
460 Folio:
13 Page:
18 Registration District:
Wandsworth

Civil Parish: Battersea Municipal Borough:
Address: 20, Devereux Road, Battersea County: London

Lynne From Up North !!

Lynne From Up North !! Report 15 Apr 2012 10:45

Canadian Passenger Lists, shows that Edith Bartlett was married, travelling with her were Lorna May aged 16, May Beatrice aged 15, Wiliam aged 10 and Arthur C aged 18.

Name: Edith Bartlett
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1869
Birth Country: England
Date of Arrival: 22 Feb 1920
Vessel: Melita
Search Ship Database: View the 'Melita' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: St John, New Brunswick
Port of Departure: London, England
Roll: T-14839

Is this the correct family?

Lynne

Maisy

Maisy Report 15 Apr 2012 11:14

Hi Lynne, yes that is the correct family. I've looked on the 1911 census and her son, Henry C Bartlett is not on there. I have been able to make out on the passenger list that she is going to reside with him. I'd like to try and find out more information to see if she stayed, if the children married etc. There were some children left in England, some were married and others I've tried to trace but unable to find anyone who knows anything about them.

Her daughter Dorothy was my husbands grandmother and although she was one of 10 children it's not easy to find what happened to them and if there are any descendants.

Maisy

Lynne From Up North !!

Lynne From Up North !! Report 15 Apr 2012 11:43

This looks like the 1911 census for Edward & Edith and those children still at home:

BARTLETT, Edward Head Married 24 years M 53 1858 Fire Insurance Suryevor Highwycombe Buck
BARTLETT, Edith Wife Married F 42 1869 Exter
BARTLETT, Kate Daughter Single F 22 1889 Clerk To Van Makers Fulham
BARTLETT, George Son Single M 21 1890 Accountant Fulham
BARTLETT, Arthur Son M 10 1901 Wandsworth
BARTLETT, May Daughter F 8 1903 Wandsworth
BARTLETT, Mary Daughter F 7 1904 Wandsworth
BARTLETT, William Son M 2 1909 Dulwich

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RG number:
RG14 Piece:
2071 Reference:
RG14PN2071 RG78PN72 RD25 SD4 ED22 SN107

Registration District:
Lambeth Sub District:
Brixton Enumeration District:
22 Parish:
Lambeth

Address:
3 Kenbury Mansions Kenbury Street Coldharbour Lane S E County: London

Lynne From Up North !!

Lynne From Up North !! Report 15 Apr 2012 11:58

Could this be a possible for Edward Charles Bartlett - Canadian Soldiers of the First World War:

Name: Henry Chas Bartlett
Birth Date: 2 Apr 1896
Birth Location: Wandsworth, (england)
Relative: Edith Bartlett
Relationship: Mother
Regiment Number: 12550
Age shown as: 18
Signed: 18th February 1915
Occupation shown as: Farmer
Lynne

Maisy

Maisy Report 15 Apr 2012 12:07

That is a possibility, I will check out that address at the library during the week to see if it's the right family. It could be him.

Thanks for taking the time to look this up for me.

Maisy